• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Coatings

JNickel101

NAXJA Forum User
Due to my year of XJ, I have basically 2 choices when it comes to aftermarket headers/exhaust manifolds...

Banks...which is stainless steel and comes uncoated (no ceramic) ~ $350 or so....

and

JBA Cat4ward Headers (catchy name) - which, have the option to be ceramic coated (silver or titanium finish...oooo...) ~ $523 w/ coating (ouch)

I was looking at exhaust wrap - yes, I know its bad for headers, but I was wondering about wrapping two spots - the downpipe, where it goes by the oil pan (maybe reduce cooking that a little) and the exhaust pipe from the muffler out (to keep the heat off the right rear upper shock mount/bushing, also maybe where it runs by the gas tank)

so....my 2 questions are...

#1 Is that a stupid idea to wrap the pipes at those two places? New Mexico is ridiculously dry, and I avoid mud at all costs...plus, I found a high temp spray that would "seal" the wrap

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=THE%2D12001&N=700+4294922165+115&autoview=sku

#2 Would that high temp spray do anything for the Banks headers, other than make them black? Or would I just be better off with the "ceramic" coating?

Thanks guys :wave:

MrF

I wrapped my exhaust from the top of the down pipe to the muffler.

I was hesitant at first due to all the issues I have read, a lot about promoting rust. But after watching the wrap after I have spilled some water on it and how it wrap and pipe get hot and get rid of the water, I didnt really think it would be a problem.

I did mine to try and stop part of the heat I was getting inside without carpet. Did it help? Not really. I think it helped a bit, but to really make a difference, I need to add shields to the cat and muffler.

That didnt really answer your questions. Sorry.

Why are you doing this?The late model exhaust is considered as good as any aftermarket unit!

Back