• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evolution of Lower Quarter Panels (pics)

A few years ago, this was done to my Comanche. Even though the comanche is slightly different, it added a TON of clearence and protection.
{img}http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/projects/comanche/armor/rear5.jpg{/img}
{img}http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/projects/comanche/armor/rear6.jpg{/img}
{img}http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/projects/comanche/armor/rear7.jpg{/img}
You might consider making a taper so that the material matches the height of your bumper then tapers to the disered height near the tire?

rear5.jpg

that's precisely what I want to do with the MJ, any more photos of the mounts and such?
sorry for the hijack

jxj said:
Great writeup Eric. I am in the middle of the cut and fold method to the rear quarter panels and noticed in some of your pics that the rear hanger for your exhaust is not there anymore-what modification was done to the tailpipe?...

It was hacked off. :D The stock hanger is simply a thin plate bolted to the underside of the frame rail. It was removed for the AEV mounting bracket and then bolted to the bottom of the bracket still using the same holes as before because AEV uses the same stock holes and "sill reinforcement" (AKA: nut strip) inside the frame rail. So the hangar was in use for a time. Later I installed the DynoMax exhaust and that end of the tailpipe doesn't use a hanger (unless you add one) so I removed the hanger. Later I crushed the end of that tailpipe so I keep hacking it off further back.... Muffler and stock cat is dented and the tailpipe doesn't sit right anymore so I'm going to have to get something else soon I think.

muddshutter said:
You might consider making a taper so that the material matches the height of your bumper then tapers to the disered height near the tire?
That's kind of what I did by angling the corner. I can't cut any higher than that though because then it cuts into the bumpers mounting brackets.

You did a nice job on that comanche.

looks good Eric. Wish my rear bumper would allow for me to do something like this. I was having the exact same problems you were with those rear quarters. The OT Fab bumper I have is great with the stock body lines, but if I wanted to do something similar to what you did i'm not sure how it'd work out. :)

Great write up Eric. I've been wanting to do this on my XJ. That lower quarter is sure week, I hit mine on the Rubicon as well. I have an interior D&C 6 point cage so I don't fell so bad about cutting this area. Do you feel this quarter is very structural? If it is...God help all us XJ/MJ owners. :)
I've heard of people getting the dimple under their rear window when this area gets fatigued, maybe more so by cutting this area without a interior cage or some other reenforcement.

Do you cover this in your book? It looks really good, I get so much info from this site...I still might buy it to keep in my Jeep library though. I like your Jeep and the color of it. Is it Patriot Blue?

Troy

I took off my bumper and hitch today. so i figured what the heck il give it a spin.. just got the driver side done.. turned out pretty good.. i had rock liz dplate gaurds that i just put a really hard bend in , shortnd and bolted them up.. i cut a bit to far so im going to shoot some expandable foam stuff down in there from the inside. This maybe little off but has anyone ever ran a totaly straight pipe back through there bumper? im going to get another bumper built and im getting all the ideas out of the way before i have it done..think if you made some kinda bracket on the inside to hold it and make a little bit bigger of a hole it could just work.......

any thoughts?>

keith h

Big Red said:
Great write up Eric. I've been wanting to do this on my XJ. That lower quarter is sure week, I hit mine on the Rubicon as well. I have an interior D&C 6 point cage so I don't fell so bad about cutting this area. Do you feel this quarter is very structural? If it is...God help all us XJ/MJ owners. :)
I've heard of people getting the dimple under their rear window when this area gets fatigued, maybe more so by cutting this area without a interior cage or some other reenforcement.

Do you cover this in your book? It looks really good, I get so much info from this site...I still might buy it to keep in my Jeep library though. I like your Jeep and the color of it. Is it Patriot Blue?

Troy

No, I don't think those lower quarters are structural at all, and I don't believe doing this will cause you to get the dimples by the rear window. I had those dimples long before I folded up the lower quarters and it is just from coming down really hard on your rear bumper or whatever you have back there.

I cover fender trimming and show some of the finished photos of after the panels were folded (someone elses Jeep, not mine) but its all covered in the link I posted on page one to Freerider's write-up on how to do it. I personally think the book is a great resource to have, even though most of it can be found online here or JeepForum, but honestly I can find it easier and quicker in the book than doing a search and fumbling through threads here. But there are a lot of photos and stuff that are exclusively for the book too. You won't be disappointed if you get it. :)

And... yes my Jeep is Patriot Blue which I don't care for much. The pinstriping shows up awfull when its clean and I do like it clean when I'm not wheeling it. I am considering painting the body desert tan and keeping all the added "accessories" black.

Back