• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4

You can usually get TCUs cheap at salvage yards, I spent 10 bucks on the one I started tearing into.

You can usually get TCUs cheap at salvage yards, I spent 10 bucks on the one I started tearing into.

Yes, that would work if I lived in an area that had well-stocked yards. Here we have only two, one with about 20 cars two of which are Jeeps but neither with the AW4, and the other has no Jeeps at all. I was hoping to avoid a 250-mile round-trip drive to a major metro area ...

What did you find when you got in there?
Were you trying to reverse-engineer it?
Were you able to draw a schematic, or at least a partial one?

Yes, that would work if I lived in an area that had well-stocked yards. Here we have only two, one with about 20 cars two of which are Jeeps but neither with the AW4, and the other has no Jeeps at all. I was hoping to avoid a 250-mile round-trip drive to a major metro area ...

Try Ebay, maybe get the dash harness, or check online junk yards!!!

What did you find when you got in there?
Were you trying to reverse-engineer it?
Were you able to draw a schematic, or at least a partial one?
I've figured out most of how the hardware works (at least, the solenoid drivers and the CCD bus interface) but I haven't successfully pulled the firmware off the microcontroller as I don't have the correct adapter/routing board to make it fit into my EPROM reader/burner. It's a mask ROM microcontroller anyways so there's no real point, you can't reprogram the firmware anyways. I'm just curious by nature.

If anyone can find me an adapter to use a Fujitsu MB89665 microcontroller in a standard EPROM burner/reader, I've got a case of cold ones for you waiting in Massachusetts. I found some companies selling them but they are the usual sketchy chinese NOS IC resellers that sell 90% counterfeit parts and 10% of the time get back to you 2 months later and say they don't have it in stock, or want a ridiculous amount each and an order of qty50 or greater. :rattle:

I believe I linked the thread where I started reverse engineering the TCU in this thread near the start - not sure. Anyways, it's pretty simple, it's got a 24C02 i2c EEPROM for what I can only imagine is parameter/config/DTC storage, an MB89665 microcontroller in a PQFP package, some op-amp/comparator type chips for level conversion and MCU input filtering, a CCD bus interface chip, a 5V voltage regulator, and 3 Sanken SI5154 positive side fault detecting solenoid driver modules to drive the solenoids. Plus gobs of the usual random diodes, resistors, transistors etc to glue it all together.

The 2000 and 2001 transmission control is incorporated into the ECM, no separate TCU.
SPOBI, no it isn't. 00 and 01 use the same part number as 99 and 98, 5604 1386AA/AB.

The 2.5L drivetrain with an auto (ever see one of those? I've only seen one) uses a PCM instead of an ECU and a TCU, but 87-01 4.0 vehicles all use an ECU and a separate TCU.

Try Ebay, maybe get the dash harness, or check online junk yards!!!

I tried here first because I thought I would have better luck here. Also I detest ebay.

So I tried www.partshotlines.com, made several calls and was very disappointed -- one vendor wanted far more than they advertised, another refused to ship as far as California.

I then tried car-part.com and found Adkins Auto Parts Martinsville IN 1-800-369-8549, who listed the part for $19. I talked to Jay and he was willing to include the plug and about a foot of the cable with the TCU for $40 shipped. Success!! We established rapport quickly -- he asked if it was for a plain Cherokee or the GC, and I replied "there's nothing grand about it." Things went swimmingly after that, and he expects to ship today.

I haven't found any online searches that cover the CA AZ NV dismantlers very well -- does anyone else know of any? The TCU is very lightweight, but I am looking for some other parts that I would prefer not to ship across the continent.

Car-part.com covers thousands of yards - not sure how their coverage in your area is. Glad to hear you got what you needed lined up! I've been quoted as much as $50 for an aw4 TCU, some full service yards are out of their minds.

I too am looking for the plug with wires to make an in car diagnosis station. I have a couple spare tcu's but my local yards lack any auto xj's. My AW issues are not consistent so i need to be able to test as they arise. Any one else ever made anything like this?

I too am looking for the plug with wires to make an in car diagnosis station. I have a couple spare tcu's but my local yards lack any auto xj's. My AW issues are not consistent so i need to be able to test as they arise. Any one else ever made anything like this?
The plug and socket are made by TE Connectivity -- formerly known as Tyco and AMP.

The socket part number is 175569, and the mating plug is 175567 or 917994.

Plug 917994 does not have wire strain relief, while 175567 does.

At least I think those are the proper part numbers -- I ordered different parts and discovered they have keys in the wrong position so I had to do a little filing. After that experience I went back to the data sheets and looked at them more closely and believe the part numbers I listed above are the correct ones.

HTH

Read most of this great post..

Maybe a dumb question but I don't know the answer..

Are any of the 3 solenoids in an 98 AW4 used in reverse?

Good question, I didn't cover that.

AFAIK, the state of the two shift solenoids has no effect in Park, Neutral, or Reverse. The torque converter lockup solenoid should NOT be used in Reverse, I'm not sure if it matters in P/N but I wouldn't just to be safe.

Read most of this great post..

Maybe a dumb question but I don't know the answer..

Are any of the 3 solenoids in an 98 AW4 used in reverse?

Shift solenoid 1 is energized during reverse. And the tcu will not engage the torque solenoid (#3) while in first. I made a tcu diadnostic tool if anyone is interested I posted it on cf but am willing to post it here.

Shift solenoid 1 is energized during reverse. And the tcu will not engage the torque solenoid (#3) while in first. I made a tcu diadnostic tool if anyone is interested I posted it on cf but am willing to post it here.

Stop teasing us, LOL, post it up, share!!!!

Thanks for the replies. If you have been following my post in anther forum you will understand why I am trying to learn everything I can about my transmission. Trying to figure out what my problem really is..

Thanks again.

Stop teasing us, LOL, post it up, share!!!!
Here it is as promised I pasted it from the site I originally posted at, any questions please ask.

well I gathered all the bits to finally make this so here it is. I made it for 96 and earlier aisin warner Transmissions. I took a old TCU and un-soldered the female plug and mated it with the male plug from a junker. I attached pigtails for molex plugs so the unit can be unattached leaving the harness in place. There is a provision where the ignition hot input is switched through my diagnostic tool as I suspect I am losing that signal intermittently while driving.

Each function of TCU is represented by a colored LED and a voltmeter connected via a 11 position rotary switch. There are 10 functions I am reading and I left an extra position for an addition that may come up. The Functions are as follows.

1. torque converter lockup
2. shift solenoid #1
3. shift solenoid #2
4. Brake switch
5. shift lever position 1-2
6. shift lever position 3
7. constant hot
8. ignition on
9. Throttle position sensor (TPS)
10. Trans output speed sensor

There is also a ground and a TPS ground. The TPS ground must be used for the TPS signal LED to work I cannot read the voltage on this one function because the voltmeter uses the common ground. I will have to use a separate voltmeter If I want to read the voltage but the steady glowing increase of the LED is sufficient for now as an analog needle would be preferred for that function anyway.

The constant voltage to the Tool is switched so I can leave it in the jeep without a draw on the battery. The second toggle switch is so I can interrupt the ignition voltage and switch it to the constant voltage. This was done because when I have my intermittent problems the problem can be remedied by cycling the ignition and now I can do this without killing the engine.

To sum it up I can see when the Torque converter is locked, what gear I am in, The output sensor signal, and the other stuff listed above. I also will know if I am not in a gear the TCU is telling it to be. One more plus is where I dont have a stock clock I will permanently install LED's for the gear and torque converter with a manual locking switch that will automatically unlock in first gear so as to avoid stalling the options are great for manual control. Can you say paddle shifting? Manual or auto mode would be killer.
The total cost were around $50. and I could have done it under $20 if I didn't have to source the TCU plug from a junkyard via mail. I need to add labels so I wont forget what is what. Here are the pics.

84498-tcu-diagnostic-tool-volt-meter.jpg

84496-tcu-diagnostic-tool-plugs-into-custom-harness-can-removed-does-not-affect-stock-set-up.jpg

84495-tcu-diagnostic-tool-here-wire-where-plug-into-harness-can-left-place-eventual-diagnostic-use.jpg

84494-tcu-diagnostic-tool-looks-good-dash.jpg

Back