• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ever have to drive under a boulder? Video.

Heep said:
You gotta rig like that and you dont know how to drive it off road? I was laughing my ass off.

?????? :huh:

I can see and hear that Ashman could use a little lower gearing, but building up any trail rig is a process......and the budget plays a big part in the timing.

I certainly don't see any bad driving. In my opinion, this comment was uncalled for.

We have fun capping on each other's rigs at times, but we don't judge their driving ability.........are you that good yourself that it gives you the right to comment about someone else? :dunno:

Care to come out west and show us how it's done?

:D

Okie Terry said:
Don't get me wrong. I like your rig. Just not the way it's been engineered. Great tube work. Nice axles. Super seat covers. It just doesn't all work well together, yet.

I don't get how you can conclude that it just doesn't all work well together, yet.

He only had trouble getting over that one big rock that rolled under the rig, and he did did get over it. We usually don't worry about taking a couple of tries at things, so what's the big deal? If you notice, the rock wedged him in....left tire wedged from behind and right tire wedged from in front. With a little lower gearing it might have been a little easier, but it was still wedged......thankfully he built it with big axles. That was an axle breaker situation for many rigs.

I think some of the commentators in this thread have a case of optilrectumitus......

:D :D

so whe know the fabrication is good
so if he had lower gears he would have gotten through that and looked good ??
fawk I would have trouble too..as far as the gearing
is it easier to learn how to regear or
how to fabricate ,measure and bend and then weld
I like yoiur rig bro
except that its stick
being XJ less right now
I would love it
good job

Goatman said:
I don't get how you can conclude that it just doesn't all work well together, yet.

He only had trouble getting over that one big rock that rolled under the rig, and he did did get over it. We usually don't worry about taking a couple of tries at things, so what's the big deal? If you notice, the rock wedged him in....left tire wedged from behind and right tire wedged from in front. With a little lower gearing it might have been a little easier, but it was still wedged......thankfully he built it with big axles. That was an axle breaker situation for many rigs.

I think some of the commentators in this thread have a case of optilrectumitus......

:D :D
Judging by the number of times that he had to use the starter on that section of trail, I feel my comments were justified. Does it, to you, seem to all work well together yet?

While this is the only actual motion that I've seen of this rig, I have the feeling that it's not much of a different scene on other trails with any technicality. In other words, I was much more impressed by his rig BEFORE I saw the video and I'm sure I will be reimpressed when he gets some gearing to go with all that beef.

By the way, he didn't actually get OVER the rock. He managed to scoot past it.

Edit: Just for the record, I never commented on his driving ability, that's a no no.
Oh, and VegasAnthony needs remedial English. :lecture:

Last edited:
You know he may have killed it a few times but when your gearing sucks so does your clutch. The clutch doesn't grab as good after driving like that for a while with bad gearing so to me that is why he is having problems. I think his jeep is badass and with some more gear would definitely make that rock look like nothing. I may not have a lot of experience but I can watch the video and tell that its not his driving that hurts him. As far as him getting the gearing I am sure he will. When he does he is going to have one stout ass xj. He has built it right!!!!!

VegasAnthony said:
so whe know the fabrication is good
so if he had lower gears he would have gotten through that and looked good ??
fawk I would have trouble too..as far as the gearing
is it easier to learn how to regear or
how to fabricate ,measure and bend and then weld
I like yoiur rig bro
except that its stick
being XJ less right now
I would love it
good job

It appears to me that he's stuck in a sonnet-like groove.

Punctuation is a virtue, as is sentence structure.

Surprise us next with a haiku.

Cherokee is Great
Rocks can break small axles fast
Trail didn't stop ashman

Thanks, I'll be here all week ;)

Heep said:
You gotta rig like that and you dont know how to drive it off road? I was laughing my ass off.

Sorry, that came out a little harsh. Getting over or should I say under that boulder looked like bitch. I just meant where he kept stalling it out going up the hill. His clutch foot was probobly getting shakey from puckering his ass so tight. Whatever it was still funny. Just another reason auto is best for rocks.

i drove under a boulder once......

standard

Okie Terry said:
I know what the tech message is here:
How not to gear for rock crawling.
or
The best way to burn up a clutch.

Okie Terry said:
Well, you certainly have quit the following (read: sackriders).
Don't get me wrong. I like your rig. Just not the way it's been engineered. Great tube work. Nice axles. Super seat covers. It just doesn't all work well together, yet.
All I know is, it takes big balls to show THIS video of yourself in public. Just ask THE OWL.

2300 posts has made your rig super cool :flickoff: :rainbow:
i_HPIM0450.jpg

i_HPIM0767.jpg

I almost though it was Tuesday (DFT)? :flickoff:, nice tech

When you become an engineer we can talk about my engineering.

Tech?
I thought this was the Modified forum? :D

The only other cherokee in our group broke his 8.25 on the first water fall taking the easy line. I drove him home on my trailer. A friend drove my XJ home on the highway.

The only thing Xj on my XJ is the 4.0, 5sp, and NP231. Why would anyone on NAXJA still run that crap? Yea gearing sucks, 5.13s are all I have, its not the 42s, even 37s would suck in the rocks with this t-case gearing. Im not gonna upgrade my 21 spline NP231. So when its done it will be done. Its much better to stall then to ride the clutch. I have old spark plugs, I think thats why its hard to start some times and causes some of the stalling.

Im running some Rancho 5000 shocks mounted on the links so they dont dampen great. These will get replaced when I make the resivors for the rams. The rig feals really nice and soft but as you can see in that pic the body rolls where ever the front leafs go. It really needs a rear sway bar, I hope to add one before the next trail run.

ashmanjeepxj said:
2300 posts has made your rig super cool :flickoff: :rainbow:
i_HPIM0450.jpg

i_HPIM0767.jpg

I almost though it was Tuesday (DFT)? :flickoff:, nice tech

When you become an engineer we can talk about my engineering.

Tech?
I thought this was the Modified forum? :D

The only other cherokee in our group broke his 8.25 on the first water fall taking the easy line. I drove him home on my trailer. A friend drove my XJ home on the highway.

The only thing Xj on my XJ is the 4.0, 5sp, and NP231. Why would anyone on NAXJA still run that crap? Yea gearing sucks, 5.13s are all I have, its not the 42s, even 37s would suck in the rocks with this t-case gearing. Im not gonna upgrade my 21 spline NP231. So when its done it will be done. Its much better to stall then to ride the clutch. I have old spark plugs, I think thats why its hard to start some times and causes some of the stalling.

Im running some Rancho 5000 shocks mounted on the links so they dont dampen great. These will get replaced when I make the resivors for the rams. The rig feals really nice and soft but as you can see in that pic the body rolls where ever the front leafs go. It really needs a rear sway bar, I hope to add one before the next trail run.
I know those weren't the worst pics you could find in that much searching.
I don't have to be an engineer to see that rig can use some basic help, ie.gearing.

Say what you want and put down my rig all you want (Doesn't bother me, THE OWL tried it too and look how he turned out), but I KNOW my rig is more capable than yours simply by the effort I see yours putting out on a 4 rated trail section. Big tires and wide axles only seem to help YOU if you have enough momentum. If you built it to be a rock racer, then you have succeeded.

As for this being the tech forum, you are correct, but a video showing you get stuck on a rock isnt tech, it's embarrassing.

It's appearant that you've engineered your rig so much that you forgot to give it ability. You've built a mansion and forgot to give it a door. My 4 year old is so flexable he can do the splits to the floor, but that doesn't make him a karate master.

Like I said before, get some gearing and I will be reimpressed with what you have done. With as much money as you have put into the drab mobile, it should walk all over most any trail you point it at. You're getting there though.

BTW, my post count has nothing to do with my rig's ability, only what I do in my spare time.

Last edited:
Okie Terry said:
Say what you want and put down my rig all you want (Doesn't bother me, THE OWL tried it too and look how he turned out.

Well, he couldt even succeed in putting my rig down...so no help there...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh3: :D

Ashman, Okie,
I know you both - wheeled with you both.
You'd like each other if you ever met. And you'd both wheel together fine.

True thing about the people you often end up likin' the most is those that you never warmed to at first.
Consider this an introduction..... maybe leave it at that.

Y'all gonna end up in another web wheelin' war here if you don't stop.

C-ROK said:
Ashman, Okie,
I know you both - wheeled with you both.
You'd like each other if you ever met. And you'd both wheel together fine.

True thing about the people you often end up likin' the most is those that you never warmed to at first.
Consider this an introduction..... maybe leave it at that.

Y'all gonna end up in another web wheelin' war here if you don't stop.
You're right Greg.

He's right, Ashman.

Consider this my offerring of :peace: .

I'm not interested in arguing the abilities of our rigs anymore. I'll pick on someone else in the future. Let's drink.

Okie Terry said:
You're right Greg.

He's right, Ashman.

Consider this my offerring of :peace: .

I'm not interested in arguing the abilities of our rigs anymore. I'll pick on someone else in the future. Let's drink.

Been raking in your Zen tranquility sand garden again?
sandy-title.jpg

Out with the jive, and in with the love.

Back