• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EVENT: 12th Annual SoCalXJ Fiesta Island Picnic – Sat, Aug 23rd, 2014

I could, but I have an appointment at 330, so I won't be able to be there until around 5pm...

Re: Re: EVENT: 12th Annual SoCalXJ Fiesta Island Picnic – Sat, Aug 23rd, 2014

Could someone bring a pair of tin snips, please? Ben gave me some expanded metal for a grill topper, but I'll need to cut it to size.

David Bricker / SYR - SAN
Threw mine in the van. Find me when you need 'em.

Threw mine in the van. Find me when you need 'em.

Great, thanks. My plan right now is to get there about 10-ish. Depending on when the grills show up is when I'll need them, but I will find you.

Another great meet!

As usual, lots of diverse rigs, and good folks:
K9IQz5ul.jpg
dItdOo9l.jpg

qfmWFTjl.jpg
AwglQNrl.jpg

SED83xcl.jpg
a4a1c5Ql.jpg

Unfortunately, we were a little too "organized" - between ExPo, American Adventurist, NAXJA, and others, the Rangers were concerned with the amount of space that had been reserved early in the day, so we got a visit:
L75BkOYl.jpg

Herbie, thanks for the use of the tin snips (even having 4 pairs to choose from!). Sorry I never got back to you on the table. A great deal, and I probably would have taken it, but I got wrapped up in getting the Spiedies cooked, and by the time I remembered, I think you had left.

So, this was my first SoCaLXJ Fiesta Island picnic. I had a very nice time. It was great to see some familiar faces, and nice to meet some new people. I'm glad everyone enjoyed the Spiedies and Spoon Bread; there was basically nothing left. There was a lot of great food.

Thanks to Tom Harlan for dropping off my grill - it did a great job. Thanks also to Rick from bringing his grill, Carol for letting me stay at her house, use her car, kitchen and fridge, and MikeG for sending out the invites.

Re: Another great meet!

Unfortunately, we were a little too "organized" - between ExPo, American Adventurist, NAXJA, and others, the Rangers were concerned with the amount of space that had been reserved early in the day, so we got a visit:
L75BkOYl.jpg

What was the story on that?

I am not aware of them dropping in to visit the XJ side of the party. How big is too big?

Does the right to assemble require permission up front anymore?

I best not think about that. I'll end up here: :soapbox:

I think the issue was that the Ranger had been by early in the day and seen large swaths of the beach being saved. Later, there were a lot of 'similar' vehicles covering most of prime beach and it seemed one group has gobbled up the whole thing. Also the Expo guys had their usual sign up, which made the Rangers think it was a formal club with 80+ rigs.

Once we explained the whole multiple clubs thing, especially with some 'civilians' in between, they just wanted the Expo sign to come down.

I think large groups are generally fine, but REALLY large groups that take whole beaches (and thus deny access for general public) is a concern.

So, this was my first SoCaLXJ Fiesta Island picnic. I had a very nice time. It was great to see some familiar faces, and nice to meet some new people. I'm glad everyone enjoyed the Spiedies and Spoon Bread; there was basically nothing left. There was a lot of great food.

Thanks to Tom Harlan for dropping off my grill - it did a great job. Thanks also to Rick from bringing his grill, Carol for letting me stay at her house, use her car, kitchen and fridge, and MikeG for sending out the invites.

It was good meeting you and I am glad you liked the grill.

Next year I am going to stay all day. And will actually prepare a little better.

Great seeing some familiar faces again.

Edit: Some of those Expo guys had killer setups. I think it was an awesome idea to have them all out together.

Thanks to everyone that came out! We had a pretty big turnout. Especially with the adventure/expo guys. Maybe Carol got a count. The food and company was great.

Not too many participant in the show n'shine or the swap meet. But a couple of people made some effort!

Best in show / Cleanest:
Troy

Most Trashed:
Sean (souske)

Most Improved:
Kevin (kevin3151)

a few pics

image by mikedashg, on Flickr

a couple more here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikedashg/sets/72157646448050520/with/15012004706/

Ha I can just barely make out my little Jeep in a few of the pics flying the Texas flag down there on the end.

I can see the bird poop on my jeep from that far away.. Cleanest?!?!?! sheesh....

I mean woohoo.. Old Rasputin (2011) is staring at me right now...

Thanks guys and gals, had fun and got burnt..

Back