• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Erratic Turn Signal - NOT Multifunction Switch

I've seen XJ's with pretty erratic and inexplicable turn signal (and hazard) behavior caused by water getting into turn signal sockets. And the bulbs were fine. My first step in diagnosing this is to remove the lenses and check them for cracks and water collection, *AND* pull the bulbs and inspect the sockets. If anything looks suspicious, hit it with contact cleaner, a scratch awl, and dielectric grease.

I've seen XJ's with pretty erratic and inexplicable turn signal (and hazard) behavior caused by water getting into turn signal sockets. And the bulbs were fine. My first step in diagnosing this is to remove the lenses and check them for cracks and water collection, *AND* pull the bulbs and inspect the sockets. If anything looks suspicious, hit it with contact cleaner, a scratch awl, and dielectric grease.

Do you think one bad lens would take out all 4 turn signals? And cause them to stop cycling?

Is this what I am looking for? A "BWD - Flasher?" O'Reilly's has it listed for $32.99.
fc649-1.jpg

Guess I won't know until I get back into my wife's XJ and start pulling things.

Last edited:
Mudshack, hubs97xj already listed the correct part numbers. I went through on NAPA's website, and they really weren't hard to find. They are only $17 at NAPA.
That is the wrong part from Autozone you have shown, according to hubs.

I used the parts numbers hubs97xj listed on NAPA and nothing came up. I will have to try it again. The only thing I was able to get hits on was the word "flasher".

Hey...and you are right....that is the wrong part number for the AutoZone part. Either I am dyslexic or something went wrong in that search. Thanks.

The pictures in my parts catalog show that it needs 3 prongs, all blades parallel and in a triangle. I still say to go to the junkyard and pick up two for ten bucks or so!

Ok...figured that out. The part number was right, but when they switched to an enlarged picture, the picture used was for a different part.

Here is the NAPA part EP27. It has 5 prongs as well and is listed for $17.29.
863846.jpg

Again, I am just going to have to pull the part from my wife's XJ and look at it. But....with the help of you guys, I at least know what the part should look like. Nothing like going to pull a part from your truck when you don't know what it looks like. Before you know it, I might have pulled the turn signal fuel filter or something.

Last edited:
I had to pull that panel before I hit the road, so here you go. This is my last attempt at helping. All the parts available, some Google searching for "Where is the flasher on a 1999 Cherokee"and all the parts sites say the same thing- with the exception of the parts catalog, apparently. I need to get my hands on one at some point, and save myself a lot of questions.

Where to look
DSCF5363.jpg

The connector- removed from it's bracket- bit hard to see otherwise
DSCF5368.jpg

The conveniently labelled backside
DSCF5366.jpg

Front
DSCF5367.jpg

Enjoy. Maybe this will save someone a few minutes in the future.

edit- I'd said early on it looked like a can. I was wrong, but we already know that. I think I was looking at a breaker.

Last edited:
Wow! Sorry about the detailed and wrong info from the parts catalog.

That reminds me- I didn't verify, but I read that there is a different PN for 96 and earlier- and that they can be swapped and still function normally. I suspect a supplier change generates a new part number, like the 96-98 steering gear.

WOW!!! YOU DA MAN!! :cheers:

That is exactly where the "clicking" sound comes from when the turn signals are cycling (and the hazards). Your post with pictures will allow me to stop and buy the part while out shopping with my wife over lunch, and swap it out quickly before she has to go pick up the kids. AND you saved me about $50

I owe you a BEER!

completely forgot about rockauto... they're awesome. Paid 63 bucks for all 3 tranny lines and two of the NPT to quick disconnect fittings for the transmission (all Dorman, one of the aftermarket companies I really trust for quality.) The cheapest I could find OEM parts was $117 for two of the three lines and none of the quick disconnect fittings.

Do you think one bad lens would take out all 4 turn signals? And cause them to stop cycling?

IIRC. I've seen XJ's with problems on both sides; I repaired the water damage on sockets on one side and then all the signals worked fine. And it wasn't a comeback, and when I did the same on mine it did the trick, so at least anectdotally, it's one possible solution. It's a sound first diagnostic test before jumping on the multifunction switch every time (and it's free!)

And Hubs97xj -- NICE work with those photos. That's the kind of response we all hope to get when we have a problem. :worship:

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread that saved me money time and headache!! Very much appreciated....got the relay and had the turn signals fixed in no time!!

^^^x2 This thread was very helpful for me too. Had the same problem as the OP. Thanks guys.

Resurrecting a 5 year old thread??? Why?

Well, it looks like they are thanking the original posters to this thread for their great responses. Especially Hubs97j for the great photos of the flasher and it's location under the dash.

This is the type of thread I look for when I have a problem and need a solution. Great info with photos!

Back