• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Erratic idling

If I cover the IAC hole while the truck is idling then it should die, right? If not, that's indicative of a vacuum leak?

Assume vacuum leak causing high idle, good TPS and good IACV. If I disco the TPS, should the IACV kick in and fix the high idle?

If I cover the IAC hole while the truck is idling then it should die, right? If not, that's indicative of a vacuum leak?

Assume vacuum leak causing high idle, good TPS and good IACV. If I disco the TPS, should the IACV kick in and fix the high idle?

There is always a vacuum leak through the CCV lines (by design), not sure if it is enough to keep engine running with IAC blocked.

So I was re-reading the RenX thread again.

Could a bad TPS/IACV cause a consistent high idle in P and N but not any drive gear (D, 3)? In a drive gear, it keeps a steady, high idle.

In D and N, it immediately jumps up real high and stays. What is the idle related to being in gear?

So I was re-reading the RenX thread again.

Could a bad TPS/IACV cause a consistent high idle in P and N but not any drive gear (D, 3)? In a drive gear, it keeps a steady, high idle.

In D and N, it immediately jumps up real high and stays. What is the idle related to being in gear?

In gear the TC stops to slip around 1000 rpm and loads the engine down.

In gear the TC stops to slip around 1000 rpm and loads the engine down.

This must explain the delay. Turn on the truck, and it idles really high. Drop it into 'D', and about a second later, it kicks into gear, the truck lurches forward and the idle goes down (no surging or anything).

I'll have some free time this weekend to go more in depth and work on it. Hopefully it's something easy like loose manifold; somehow, I doubt it.

This must explain the delay. Turn on the truck, and it idles really high. Drop it into 'D', and about a second later, it kicks into gear, the truck lurches forward and the idle goes down (no surging or anything).

I'll have some free time this weekend to go more in depth and work on it. Hopefully it's something easy like loose manifold; somehow, I doubt it.

You are looking for an idle rpm of 725-775, in DRIVE, when fully warmed, about 15-20 minutes after starting.

Your idle will be higher in Park and Neutral, of course.

You are looking for an idle rpm of 725-775, in DRIVE, when fully warmed, about 15-20 minutes after starting.

Your idle will be higher in Park and Neutral, of course.

While I do have other problems with my Renix, I have a steady idle, in P, D, & N, and it increases about 150 RPM with the AC on to about 750, and about 600 with out the AC on. Mine settles in after about 5-10 seconds after a start at about 900 to 1000 rpm.

Your base idle is too low at 600 rpm. Your base idle should be 725-775, in D, engine and transmission fully warmed, NO accessories. A/C on idle should be higher to compensate for load. Cold idle will be higher, of course.

I think you should give the TB base idle screw an adjustment, as 600 no-load idle is way too low.

Your base idle is too low at 600 rpm. Your base idle should be 725-775, in D, engine and transmission fully warmed, NO accessories. A/C on idle should be higher to compensate for load. Cold idle will be higher, of course.

I think you should give the TB base idle screw an adjustment, as 600 no-load idle is way too low.

I am happy with 600 rpm minimum at hot idle. So why do you feel that 600 is too low, other than the FSM lists 700-725 rpm?

I should mention that it was 250 to 300 at one time, LOL.:D

Just an educated guess, but I would say your 600 rpm idle is too low and the IAC is not going to compensate for something so out of spec, perhaps the source of an "erratic idle"?

Yeah, my idle is way above that (no dash tach yet, though). I was trying to figure out why the idle was somewhat lower in a drive gear as opposed to higher in P or N.

The engine will idle up between downshifts, too, since there is a small delay in the downshifting process. I already replaced the TPS with new and calibrated it. It made no difference so I put the old one back on.

I tested the constant 5V connection at the TPS and it shows 4.86V. Is this enough to screw things up?
4.86 V supply from ECU to TPS is fine. More likely that one or more of your grounds is loose and dirty.

I bought a new B- to block ground wire from 5-90. The ground was missing insulation.

I stuck my finger over the opening for the IACV and the engine idled down to what I assume is the proper operating idle speed. It didn't stutter or try to die when I covered that hole. Does this mean there's a massive vacuum/air leak somewhere?

I checked all of the upper manifold bolts on the intake manifold. Are there lower manifold bolts that I have to check by laying on the ground and come up from under it?
Unfortunately yes.

Bummer. Something tells me those are a real PITA. If one or more of those lower bolts were loose, would it be hissing?

Pita..., What was your first clue?

Might hiss if loose enough, hard to hear small leaks. Keep in mind some of those bolts hold the intake and exhaust at the same time. Those bolts are notorious for getting loose.

A stethoscope or just a long piece of vacuum hose used as a stethoscope can help you hear small leaks.

Back