• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eric's cage build

nice work Eric :D

Sheet metal work is so fun! :(

Yes I know. Grinding down all those spot welds I made is turning out to be quite the chore!

jeepfreak1020 said:
So where did you relocate your washer fluid tank o?
You can see it in this photo:
5682.jpg

It's a washer bottle from an older XJ. I relocated it way back when I had a snorkel.

I was asked to take some pics with the wheel on so here are a few more.

This is at ride height and that is a 35x12.50 tire.

5768.jpg

Here is with the "stock" fenders:

5158.jpg

And here is a front shot:

5770.jpg

Looks great man, clean design and well thought out. It is nice to see these kind of projects instead of just another hack job thread. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

I was asked to take some pics with the wheel on so here are a few more.

This is at ride height and that is a 35x12.50 tire.

5768.jpg

Here is with the "stock" fenders:

5158.jpg

And here is a front shot:

5770.jpg
This is what I wanted to do. Looks like you won't scuff up your fenders on the Rubicon this year. Looks good Eric. See you later.

It must be nice not having to cover the tires for inspections! LOL

Very sexy, by the way. I need to get caught up on the rest of your build before going for the tube fenders! Been concentrating on building up the tool collection first. Oh and another daily driver. I don't think Tamara knows that she's getting kicked out of the garage for a while once that happens! LOL

I need to remember to look you up next time I have to drive through!

So I used some seam sealer to cover the spot welds on the fenders. It says it is best to apply above 70*, and can be sanded when fully cured... so I've been heating the garage with a space heater but haven't got it dry enough to sand, even with adding direct heat. I proceeded to primer the interior tubes and I went ahead and added primer to the fenders. The seam sealer just looks like crap so I ended up stripping the paint off and hit the seams with a wire wheel. I'll let it dry for another week, sand it down (hopefully) and finish painting.

Here it is before stripping the paint off the fenders.

5781.jpg

Okay, so finally after three attepmts I finally got the seam sealer smoothed out and the fenders painted. I also had trouble deciding on how to paint it - all tubes black to match the rest of the cage or keep the fender all tan. I ended up doing all tubes black except for the small vertical tubes, but they could easily be changed to black later on if I want.

5801.jpg

I also figured that with the grill removed, now was the opportune time to install some hood pins. Well that and the fact I also noticed that the safety latch was no longer catching the striker when the hood was popped.

5804.jpg

very nice! I just have one question: why didn't you make the front portion modular? i.e. wouldn't it be useful for it to be somewhat removable?

Back