• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Entire AC swap question.

Goose_XJ88

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Maybe this fits better in mod tech...
First off has anyone done it? I have an 88 (R-12) and was wondering If anyone has switched a known working later model (97+) AC system into their rig. Recently a local Naxja member was rear-ended and his jeep body will prob be parted. I was thinking about buying his AC system so I could have AC in my jeep finally. Thoughts?

Will I need any of the 97-01 brackets along with the rest of the system? Will it even bolt up? If it isn't possible, then I'm just going to convert to OBA. Thanks

Never done a swap but I've been elbow deep in my 2000's ac... The biggest problem is that the connections that pass through the firewall to the exchanger-thingy in your dash are different. So either you have to pull your dash and replace that as well or have some custom hoses figured out (which might not be too bad if you can TIG aluminum, otherwise it would be pricey.)

There are other bracket issues but those are manageable, like the bracket to hold the evap canister in place at the firewall in the engine compartment will be a little different, and the 2000 has a hard line going through the firewall there so it has to be in the right spot, which may have you tweeking your coolant bottle if you haven't upgraded to an open system...

The connections and bracket on the compressor are different, so either you make the 2000 bracket work or you use your compressor and take the back half of your compressor off and put the back half of the 2000 compressor on it - as long as they are both "709" compressors it will bolt right on.

Perhaps a hybrid of components is your best bet... But why not just fix your system and convert it to the new Freon?

Last edited:
Ive heard that doing the freon swap is a pricey ordeal and that it doesnt cool as efficiently with an r12 system. I may be wrong, any other inputs? I really havnt looked into the extent of where the AC lines and everything go on mine so it may be more than its worth.. IDK

I've been an A/C guy for years and converted dozens of the R12 to R134a. The key with any of these systems is finding and correcting leaks and any electrical issues first. Keep what you have and repair it. Get some adapters so you can put some pressurized nitrogen or air in the system (50 psi or so). Spray everything with soapy water until it bubbles. Fix the leak. You can then buy the adapter kit, a set of gauges and a vacuum pump, 3 cans of R134a, and a can of R134a oil, for far less than what someone will charge you to fill it. To save me from rambling, find a Youtube a video of the pump down and refill procedure. The important thing is to not overfill the system as R134a is 15% heavier than R12. That means fill the system with only 85% of what is listed on the vehicles A/C fill sticker and stop. You can damage the system seals if it is over charged. Forget the myths about compatibility problems and such. The A/C compressor and system as a whole do not care what freon is in there. R134a is slightly less efficient but still should cool well without changing anything. The oils are not compatible with each other so the R12 oil will just "park" itself and not cause any trouble. You don't have anything to loose if you encounter a major problem. All the equipment is cheap at harbor freight and you can use it to fix the system again in the future if your compressor craps out.

Thanks for the input guys. I will look into the 97 mj threads

Back