• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ENO Hammocks

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
Well the camping section on NAXJA seems dead so Im hoping some of you southeast boys have some input. Im considering telling the parentals I would like an ENO hammock for Christmas. Figured it would be good for backpacking and to throw in the back of the XJ for those broken parts nights on the mtn.

To those of you that have them...

1.) Should I go with ENO or another brand?

2.) Im 200lbs, 5'10". Should I get the doublenest or the single? If the single, will I be able to throw it over my face/body as Ive seen done with single sleepers in the doublenest?

3.) Should I get the entire "onelink" kit or just get the hammock and buy a tarp elsewhere to throw over the top for those nights of rain?

I have an ENO single and camp with it all the time. Easiest thing would be to buy the whole kit with a rain fly so you know you have it all and it's all properly sized. If you're really worried about rain, think about putting some tails on your hanging straps that will direct the water that flows down the strap to the ground instead of into the hammock. Also, a good pad will go a long way in the winter. I've been in below freezing with and without a pad and having a pad or underquilt will keep the wind from freezing you from below.
I'm 5'5", 145 and I still swim in my single nest and can easily wrap myself up completely if I wanted to but I'm not sure why I would. If you set your rain fly up correctly, you'll be completely protected from the elements and can still get the ventilation you won't get if you completely close yourself in with the hammock. On cold nights, I usually wear socks, a stocking cap and nothing else inside my sleeping bag with a pad under, a blanket over and a rain fly if I think there will be any chance of rain.

1. I have my entire family outfitted with Enos. The only reason I would say to go with a different company is if you are only going to use it for camping and nothing else, which I would suggest a Hennessy system. I like the Eno because it offers flexibility to just hang around the yard or where ever else with out the whole tarp system.

2. I would suggest a Doublenest. The extra room is nice to have to have by yourself sleeping (more room to adjust position) or to have a guest when just relaxing. I have a Singlenest for myself and have often contemplated buying another Double. You really aren't gaining anything with the Single other than minor weight savings, and if that's the case then you would go with the Sub7 to maximize weight reduction.

3. The Eno rainflys are convenient. I have the Dryfly, which I bought before there were more options, and it does take some practice setting up correctly. You will set it up nice and tight but if you run the straps through the suggested holes, when you get in the hammock the straps will put pressure on the fly and cause it to go slack. I think the Profly is a better option (my buddy has one). Mine did rip at the hole for the hammock straps over time.

-If you don't have a bug screen, wrapping the sides of the hammock over is a decent way to keep them away, especially if you have a little bit of weight in the pouch.
-If you go with Eno straps, get the Atlas system. The traditional Slap Straps have limited hanging options. I actually prefer just getting two 15ft sections of 1" tube webbing and tying a permanent loop on one end of each strap, wrap the strap around your anchor point and pull the tag end through the loop, then do a quick removable knot at the exact point you want on the strap for a perfect hang every time. I don't know the name of the knot for the midline loop but it's easy enough to figure out, and webbing usually unties easy enough.

-I have 3 months straight experience living out of the hammock while hiking the AT and countless other trips. It's the best way to sleep. Most nights if I'm not concerned about rain I don't bother with the fly, camp is set up in minutes. Right now I use a Klymit Static V sleeping pad in the hammock because it has wings on the side of the hammock that can fold up and fits into the Singlenest nicely (its super lightweight and packs down to almost nothing as well). I am comfortable down to freezing. An underquilt is pricey but by far the best way to go to stay warm.

Check these guys out. http://www.dream-hammock.com/Hammocks.html or http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com
They make some great stuff. I'm 6'3" and 250 and the ENO double nest is what I have right now but it's only like 9.5' long. I bought it because it was cheap and I didn't know anything about hammocks. They are fine for one night at a time but couldn't sleep in it for a week. I need a longer one so I can get more droop in order to sleep diagonal to get level. I wish I had a bug net. Dream hammock will be my next purchase that I will use for backpacking because their over all system is so light. Amsteel Whoopie slings are the best for hanging a hammock The ENO Atlas straps are heavy, absorb water and take forever to dry. You will need to get an under quilt if you sleep outside in less then 70 degrees because your weight will crush the insulation of your sleeping bag and your back will get cold. Hope this helps.

I have some off brand hammock that looks just like an Eno. Not even sure what brand it is. If hardly ever use it but when I do it's worked well. I'll have to check out the name.

Yukon Outfitters have a good hammock selection. I bought their Gen 1 hammock on sale for $20 and the hammock has been awesome. Not sure if they still have any, but for $20 you can't beat it. And they are local USA company in TN

Back