• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Swap Question/Advice

_dallas_

NAXJA Forum User
The Heep in question is an 89 4-door with a 4cyl/5 speed, lifted on 33's and Dana 30/35 with 4.11's.

I have a couple different routes I am thinking of taking on this rig:

1. Get the 4cyl to a reliable condition and drop the tire size to 31's.

2. Swap the 4cyl for an inline 6 of the Jeep flavor.

3. Swap the 4cyl for a V-6.

4. Swap the 4cyl for a V-8.

I have resources to do any of these options, but I am just wondering what the general concensus would be.

Personally, I would go with a 4.0L swap. It keeps things nice and neat and supportable. If you want more hp, I would stroke the new motor before installing.

Just for the record, I have done all of these things and talk from experience.

You don't mention transmission options......... All of those choices other than rebuilding the current 4 banger are gonna require a better/stronger transmission.

Not really looking for more hp, but the inline 6 swap is looking like the best option. That will give me a little more zip for regular driving. Hell it is a Jeep! I don't plan on setting any land speed records.

I know swapping motors will require a tranny upgrade, but the more I think about it, the inline 6 will require the least amount of modification.

i say do with what you've got...for the time you will spend getting any thing but whats in there back in there and reliable and fuel injected i assume....you would spend lots of cash.
i vote make the 4 cyl run well....gear the pee pee out of it and run it...i knew a guy back home that ran 39's with his 4 cyl and it ran well!

Not really looking for more hp, but the inline 6 swap is looking like the best option. That will give me a little more zip for regular driving. Hell it is a Jeep! I don't plan on setting any land speed records.

I know swapping motors will require a tranny upgrade, but the more I think about it, the inline 6 will require the least amount of modification.

Find a totaled xj with the drive train you want cause your gonna need it all, engine, tranny ,wiring, harness, and most importantly the shit ya didn't think of

i say do with what you've got...for the time you will spend getting any thing but whats in there back in there and reliable and fuel injected i assume....you would spend lots of cash.
i vote make the 4 cyl run well....gear the pee pee out of it and run it...i knew a guy back home that ran 39's with his 4 cyl and it ran well!

you aint at sea level anymore skippy :D

you aint at sea level anymore skippy :D

:laugh3:

Although I had an acquaintance with a YJ with the 4 banger and he ran 35's and 5.13's and would race past me going up I-70 and floyd hill. ...............he was also probably at the rev limit of 4-5,000 RPM!!!!! ;)

LMAO See ya at 12,000 feet with our BS.

you guys and your high altitude BS....

So if a bunch of guys that have lived here most of their life are telling you that you will loose power due to the altitude (yes, no matter what tweaks might make it a little better) and you will not have the same power as at sea level because of the lack of oxygen. If you still do not believe us, then you must be suffering from altitude sickness!? :rolleyes: :D

........there is a plus side though, for the those that have lived here for only a short time alcohol affects you faster and with less of it!?

Last edited:
Nope, but it is currently disassembled to the point where I am a couple bolts and wires away from having the thing yanked out of there.

I will get it going pretty soon and then decide what I am going to do from there. Chopping the back off and some crazy cage and bumper design are next on the list after getting it running.

Back