• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine shut off...... Help!!

lndrvrxj

NAXJA Forum User
When i first start the xj and put it in gear ( to pull out driveway) then shift to put it in drive my xj will stall out. what could it be...I do have a exhaust leak, could that be the problem because of a lak of backpressure.......any ideas....i have changed o2 sensor

Will it start right up again? Will it idle? Will it only stall when you put it in gear and go to pull away? Have you noticed anything else, like your heater controls are kinda screwy (vacuum problem)?

Geoff C

You might want to check for vacuum leaks. Also - check the throttle body, I'm sure it probably needs cleaning. The IAC motor is attached to the throttle body, and it may be plugged or stuck. So cleaning the throttle body may help alleviate your problem (be sure to clean out the port for the IAC). It could very well be the IAC motor itself, or possibly some other sensors. What other symptoms do you have? Do you have any other details that might help?

Easy cleaning, take off the air hose (intake) and us either TB cleaner or carb cleaner. With engine running spray into TB, you will need to open the butter fly for this or it will stall. The cleaner will also clean out the gunk in the intake manifold, that black crap from the PCV.

Most every time one of my XJ´s start stalling, I head for the EGR (early models). The thermo sensor on the block (low left), shuts off the EGR when the motor is cold. When something in the EGR circuit, the EGR itself, the EGR solenoid or the temp. sensor, act up. It will often stall at start up and often when stopping at an intersection or slow speeds around a corner. An easy test is to plug the vacume line to the EGR with a screw and take a test drive. Have also had the rod in the EGR valve stick, the EGR hangs open a touch. You can watch the rod actuate when blipping the throttle on a warm engine. If it seems to be moving freely, it probably isn´t hanging open. If it moves on a cold motor, it´s probably the temp. sender, the EGR solenoid or the wiring. The default on the EGR solenoid is open ( no signal the EGR is operating, perhaps when it shouldn´t be).
I found the temp. sensor cable harness laying on my exhaust manifold. The cable harness for the temp sensor, the 02 sensor and the knock sensor is a continuation of the injector harness that runs down the front of the motor then underneath. Worth a look. Well baked wires can cause problems.
Something to look at, if the idle motor and vacum system seem OK.

Well i just replaced the TPS sensor last night to fix my kickdown problem( and it did) well i drove to work this morning and it has not stalled on me yet not sure if by fixing my kickdown problem fixed my stalling problem too. But if it does it again then i know i need to keep looking. I will let you know though

Back