• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fans

If any of yall have been in stop and go traffic in 90*+ and have heard your stock e-fan kick on cause the coolant temps were high and have seen the temps go down on the dash gauge relatively quick--imagine two of them on whenever you want. Even if those fans can pull those cfms, I'd give the stock fan a 4-1 chance of outliving them.

How much does a stock XJ fan pull? I have a old 10" Flexalite next to my stock XJ fan and they seem to pull about the same.

I take this back...

I went out to the garage tonight to compare and the 10" flexalite fan is no where near pulling what the stock XJ electric does. My guess in a side by side comparison is the flexalite 10" is doing 50-75% of what the XJ fan is. I will be looking for another XJ fan to replace my flexalite before summer.

Now, on to Foxwar's thread...

I have to think that for that price the fan is made in China and they put an extra one in front of the CFM rating. I would sh!t myself if that thing actually pulls anywhere near that CFM.

Anyone know how to test for CFM? I would love to do a independent test and see what they are pulling.

The fan kits are my number one seller and I have not had any complaints come back, I have also had the original 3 fans in my jeep for over 18 months with no problems.

Around town I only have one fan on and the other two only come on after sitting at a red light for a while.

I have a extra fan and am going to do a webcam torture test to see what it will take to kill one of the fans.

The one thing I tell everyone is that this is not a replacement for a working cooling system, It will keep a good working system cool. But if you have a clogged radiator, bad thermostat or other issue it will not work any better than the stock fans will.

Anyone know how to test for CFM? I would love to do a independent test and see what they are pulling.

The fan kits are my number one seller and I have not had any complaints come back, I have also had the original 3 fans in my jeep for over 18 months with no problems.

Around town I only have one fan on and the other two only come on after sitting at a red light for a while.

I have a extra fan and am going to do a webcam torture test to see what it will take to kill one of the fans.

I would really like to see this. I really wanna pull the trigger on the kit.

whats the difference in the fan controller option and the temp switch add-ons for the wilsonfab fan conversion? i would like to always have 1 fan on, 1 come on at ~190 degs, and 3rd one on a switch.

The one thing I tell everyone is that this is not a replacement for a working cooling system, It will keep a good working system cool. But if you have a clogged radiator, bad thermostat or other issue it will not work any better than the stock fans will.

Have you noticed any horsepower gains from not having the stock clutch fan?

I just want to make a comment on shrouds for those who are interested. Putting a flat piece of sheetmetal over the back of the radiator and mounting the fans to it is not a shroud. All it does is limit sirflow through the radiator and it will reduce your cooling capacity. This is experience speaking. The only way to make an effective shrouds is to create a plenum (open space) between the fans and the radiator. This allows the fans to draw air in through the whole of the radiator. If the fans are mounted against the radiator fins, they do not draw air through the part where the motor and hub of the fan are. This reduces the cooling that is possible for that fan. With a proper shroud the fan pulls air through all of the cooling surface area of the radiator and is therefore much more effective. Depending on the fans you use you might have to remount the radiator forward about 1" to make room for the shroud/s. You are better off mounting the fans directly to the radiator than putting a flat piece of sheetmetal over it and mounting the fans to that. The way dirtbound has designed their mounting arrangement is the next best thing to having a shroud with adequate plenum area.

I can tell you that 2 late model stock electric fans keep our desert racer cool. Guys have tried other aftermarket two and three fan setups and eventually go back to two stock fans. I've been watching for a couple late model fans to drop into my '91...with a controller from DC Controls.

Ok, I placed an order for a CFM flow meter. I will post up data on my fan kit and on stock fan output.

I am also going to do a series of tests to see what it takes to actually kill one of the fans in my kit.

i also just put a winch behind my crosmemeber and have run into the same problem. considering going with this 3 fan kit.. but now its looking like the stock E-fans are much better..

Back