• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

elctric fan

cjwalkeriii

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys. this is my first post and I am hoping someone can help!. Anyhow, with rising gas prices and the craving for more power, I have been doing a few mods to my 94 xj 4.0. The question I have is can I replace the stock mechanical fan with an electric? I have done this with other cars, but thats exactly what they were, cars... So is there any problems with putting a 16' in there? With my calcualtions, that should give enough air flow (2800cfm) to keep it cool, and still have the aux for the ac? let me know, thanks guys...

Yes you can but space in front of the 4.0 and I assume that is the engine you have, is of the premiun. Do a search of the forum. Many XJ's have done that with varing degree of sucess.

Spend your fan money on gas and you'll be money ahead. With the aerodynamics of an XJ, the fan is insignificant.

Last summer: I put a flex a lite 110 (thinnest fan I could find to fit in the tight space), kept overheating, and put the clutch fan back in with a new clutch. No more overheating. The extra horsepower was noticeable, but not worth the breakdowns on summer trips. Also, I went through 2 flex a lite fans, because under really bumpy conditions wheeling or on washboard roads, the fan blade would tilt off its axis, hit the radiator, break a blade or two, and short out/blow fuse. I did this with 2 separate fans that were rock solid mounted to the body/frame. If your 16" fan is up to the task, you will definitely notice more hp. LOL.

Back