• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Elaborate Rear Main Seal Fix

Same-same...replacing the oil pump pickup is really what everyone is referring to, as the oil pump itself is much more involved to replace.

DBenz said:
Along with the oil pump, I've heard there's a pick up screen/filter that needs to be cleaned, is this correct?
When I replaced my oil pump, I cleaned and re-used the old pickup tube and screen. When I inserted the old tube into the new oil pump, it was a good, tight fit. But just to be sure, I took a hammer and a punch and "peened" the oil pump around the tube inserted into it. That tightens the fit even further to make sure it won't come out.

Hope this helps.

Woah, Brother...

If you're doing the oil pan gasket, and the oil cover gasket, as well as the rear main seal, then you're ready for synthetic lube, since that's 99% of your potential leakage areas...

"Cleaning"? once you finished what others have said, then you're bottom end is DONE, man. There's nothing left to do, if you took all their advice, sir.

Top end? Put in a good quality "injector cleaner", or go WAY out there, and add a little acetone (from Wally World, or local hardware shop) to your next 6 tanks of gas- one cup per tankful, on an average XJ is an unwritten rule, from what I've read elsewhere... you should be able to peek in ANY cylinder, and see a really CLEAN piston after that...

Otherwise, you should be GOOD TO GO.

Guys, sorry for asking such a noob question about the RMS Leak...

How do I know its time to replace it? Mine is starting to sweat, but I'm not loosing any oil at all. The oil level has been full since forever... so do I need to replace the seal now? Or should I do it because it will eventually happen?

The problem is that I am not mechanically inclined to do a job like this, nor have the appropriate tools and equipment so am I looking at a $600 job here to get it done by someone else??

I'll pay somebody in the NJ/CT area to come and help me!!!

Could the oil sweat be from above and not the rear main seal?

"Above" meaning oil coming from the valve cover or oil filter area.

Is it leaking on the ground?

My Jeep has been leaking for years...it's a hassle now as I can't park it in the new paved driveway and will have to fix it soon.

Johnny V said:
Could the oil sweat be from above and not the rear main seal?

"Above" meaning oil coming from the valve cover or oil filter area.

Is it leaking on the ground?

My Jeep has been leaking for years...it's a hassle now as I can't park it in the new paved driveway and will have to fix it soon.

Negative, not a speck of oil on the ground nor does it look like I'm loosing any either. Could be from the valve cover... I dont think its from the filter

Maybe changing over to a different oil might help... I am using Valvoline MaxLife 10W-3o currently

If oil isn't hitting the ground I'd say don't worry about it but try to find the leak and fix it...that's if it's the valve cover or oil filter area then fix it. If it is the rear main seal then hold off until it's a hassle...that's what I've been doing for the last several years.

As far as oil goes I'd go a little thicker to 10-40W.

Hey we still have to get together for lunch or something as I'm in Middletown.

Yup, will do... Thank you for the advice. I'll try 10-40W as you suggested.

summer is ahead so we have plenty of time

GI-John said:
While you have the oil pan off, and the pump removed, consider replacing the Oil Pump. It's cheap insurance.

Go to the stealership and get the one piece oil pan gasket. You will be glad you did.

John

I changed my seal and use the one piece seal and used string in about everyother hole to hold it in place and put it up and in and then start the odd holes without string with screws and then you cut the string and put in the other screws. It isn't a bad job on a V8 5.2 95 Grand Cherokee. Good Luck

Back