• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Edward Snowden....Patriot or traitor?

The thing that gets me is people actually think this is new or relevant. I've assumed for over forty years and have known for twenty, that any electronic communication I have is likely to be recorded somewhere.

When I worked for the State Department, I assumed (knew) they had a copy of my hard drive. This was twenty years ago.

Snowden seems like a bright guy, but naive.

If two people know, it isn't a secret. If you say it over the phone, it definitely isn't a secret.

The thing that gets me is people actually think this is new or relevant. I've assumed for over forty years and have known for twenty, that any electronic communication I have is likely to be recorded somewhere.

When I worked for the State Department, I assumed (knew) they had a copy of my hard drive. This was twenty years ago.

Sweet it looks like you answered your own question, good job.

Anyone that cares about freedom should see him as a hero. Everyone that blindly worships the state sees him as a traitor. Anyone with the slightest critical thinking skills can see he's not a "terrorist" as they like to portray him and he just wanted to provide evidence to the public. So you don't have to ASSUME.

To me, the way he answered the questions made it seem as if he wasn't sharing anything that would be seen as "confidential" other than what we had a right to know about. I don't think he is selling our secrets to the russians but I wonder just how long they will offer him asylum without wanting something for it.

Sweet it looks like you answered your own question, good job.

Anyone that cares about freedom should see him as a hero. Everyone that blindly worships the state sees him as a traitor. Anyone with the slightest critical thinking skills can see he's not a "terrorist" as they like to portray him and he just wanted to provide evidence to the public. So you don't have to ASSUME.

Good points. I still think (being facetious just because it is my way) he broke trust, is naive and a master of the obvious.

I don't think he is a terrorist, I think he is an idealist and has grown up sheltered from reality. I've known people who could watch a crime right in front of their eyes and not see a thing, either by choice (Ostrich mentality), by disposition (see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil) or are so self centered they rarely notice anything but themselves. On the other side of the same equation, screaming, yelling and pointing at a criminal while he is committing a crime can get you killed.

I remember putting together twenty ton Faraday cages in the early 90's. Dual purpose, one to guard against EMP and two, anything that radiates can be monitored and/or hacked. We even put special filters on the electrical mains.

I think he pretty much threw away his whole life stating the obvious and I wonder if he is actually that naive or he is just an attention whore.

I think it was in the 70's (maybe the 80's) they had those vans driving around and could tell which channel you were watching on your TV.

Last edited:
Good points. I still think (being facetious just because it is my way) he broke trust, is naive and a master of the obvious.

I don't think he is a terrorist, I think he is an idealist and has grown up sheltered from reality. I've known people who could watch a crime right in front of their eyes and not see a thing, either by choice (Ostrich mentality), by disposition (see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil) or are so self centered they rarely notice anything but themselves. On the other side of the same equation, screaming, yelling and pointing at a criminal while he is committing a crime can get you killed.

I remember putting together twenty ton Faraday cages in the early 90's. Dual purpose, one to guard against EMP and two, anything that radiates can be monitored and/or hacked. We even put special filters on the electrical mains.

I think he pretty much threw away his whole life stating the obvious and I wonder if he is actually that naive or he is just an attention whore.

I think it was in the 70's (maybe the 80's) they had those vans driving around and could tell which channel you were watching on your TV.
Are you talking about the "detectors" in the UK that have never been proven to exist?

"there has been not one single prosecution for TV licence evasion based upon evidence obtained using detection equipment, and there is no technical evidence supporting claims that such detection equipment is capable of carrying out the specific task of locating television sets accurately; indeed, detection equipment used even at the perimeter of a dwelling cannot specifically pinpoint receiving devices based upon the equipment's I.F. (intermediate) frequency. This frequency is too low down the frequency spectrum (very low wavelength) to allow such capabilities of any equipment, handheld or otherwise."

Well that's bullshit, because color TVs can be easily detected by looking for a colorburst oscillator signal at 3.579545MHz. Black and white can probably be detected as well, standard IF frequency is 33.4MHz for the video feed and 38.9MHz for the audio channel. Wavelength is an issue when building your RDF antenna, since the highest frequency involved has a wavelength of around 7.7 meters (so the antennas would need to be spaced around 3.8 meters apart) but it's entirely possible.

That's neither here nor there, however. IMO, Snowden is a whistleblower and anything from misguided to a patriot and hero. The problem is, almost everyone in power is perfectly fine with the NSA spying on the great unwashed, so we're pretty screwed.

Well that's bullshit, because color TVs can be easily detected by looking for a colorburst oscillator signal at 3.579545MHz. Black and white can probably be detected as well, standard IF frequency is 33.4MHz for the video feed and 38.9MHz for the audio channel. Wavelength is an issue when building your RDF antenna, since the highest frequency involved has a wavelength of around 7.7 meters (so the antennas would need to be spaced around 3.8 meters apart) but it's entirely possible.

That's neither here nor there, however. IMO, Snowden is a whistleblower and anything from misguided to a patriot and hero. The problem is, almost everyone in power is perfectly fine with the NSA spying on the great unwashed, so we're pretty screwed.

The use of color burst Xtals went away with the use of colm filters.
But more to your point, I'm sure there are specific frequency OSC specific to the decoding of Digital TV transmissions, depending on the processor used.

Snowden? The issue I agree is that when GB started us down the road to paranoiaville, we pretty much gave up our rights to any semblance of privacy.

Ron

The use of color burst Xtals went away with the use of colm filters.
But more to your point, I'm sure there are specific frequency OSC specific to the decoding of Digital TV transmissions, depending on the processor used.

Snowden? The issue I agree is that when GB started us down the road to paranoiaville, we pretty much gave up our rights to any semblance of privacy.

Ron

Is it still paranoia if they are really out to get you. :)

All I was saying is that monitoring citizens is old technology and has been going on for a very long time. And the newer and better the technology the better they get at it. I've always assumed they are way better at it than most people think or suspect.

I'm not particularly paranoid, just practical, I've always avoided radiating anything of substance and stick to the boring and mundane.

I did plant easter eggs for the nerds who spy for a living. Something so outrageous and funny they just had to share. And bigger than dew dew, it eventually made it's way back to me.

I was more into the nuts and bolts of the operation, physical security, but hung around the electronic security guys daily.

You really wouldn't need any fancy electronics to monitor TV, a simple filter array and some idea of the frequencies involved. You could pick out the missing bleed fairly easily. My knowledge of radios and such is archaic, but other than better technology, the theory remains the same.

The vans, I've seen them, you can too if you actually look. Short antenna front and rear for some frequencies. A small array for other frequencies. Most people would never notice, unless you are into radios and using illegal linear amplifiers. ;)

Those guys didn't install very large metal boxes around there equipment for fun. Instead of shielding the stuff individually. They also had rules about any wire that went through an outside wall. Maybe their paranoia rubbed off on me.

http://www.unitedliberty.org/articl...t-terror-plots-foiled-by-bulk-data-collection

I care less about labeling Snowden and more about the insight that his actions have provided to the American public.

“Somewhere along the way, the balance between security and privacy was lost. It’s now time for the judiciary committees to again come together in a bipartisan fashion to ensure the law is properly interpreted, past abuses are not repeated and American liberties are protected,” said Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner Jr., the Wisconsin Republican who sponsored the Patriot Act in 2001, and has written the new bill along with Sen. Patrick J. Leahy, the Vermont Democrat who is chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Our Founders knew this type of abuse would happen, hence the creation of The Bill of Rights. The actions by our government against innocent and law-abiding American citizens is a direct and intentional attack and violation of our Rights.

http://www.unitedliberty.org/articl...t-terror-plots-foiled-by-bulk-data-collection

I care less about labeling Snowden and more about the insight that his actions have provided to the American public.

“Somewhere along the way, the balance between security and privacy was lost. It’s now time for the judiciary committees to again come together in a bipartisan fashion to ensure the law is properly interpreted, past abuses are not repeated and American liberties are protected,” said Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner Jr., the Wisconsin Republican who sponsored the Patriot Act in 2001, and has written the new bill along with Sen. Patrick J. Leahy, the Vermont Democrat who is chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Our Founders knew this type of abuse would happen, hence the creation of The Bill of Rights. The actions by our government against innocent and law-abiding American citizens is a direct and intentional attack and violation of our Rights.

There is only one way to know for sure if you are a law abiding citizen or not and that is to climb up your rear end with a microscope to see exactly what is causing that stink. :)

The part that chaffs my butt, is the ruling elite, the famous and royalty seem to have more important privacy concerns than Joe citizen does, they likely have more to hide. Any laws they pass won't be for you an me. And IMO even if they pass the laws, chances are whomever is collecting the data is just going to get better at hiding their collection.

Personally I consider Snowdens revelations to be on a par with somebody noticing and sharing with me, that the sun came up again this morning.:)

Last edited:
Back