• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Educate me on a TV purchase..

Depends on where you mount it.

I have mine against the wall of the house that sees the most sun, but there are windows on either side, so in the morning, you can see our reflection in it if the shades are open.

Personally, I like the glossy screen better, but I think it depends on your ambient light and where you're going to put it.

Go to BestBuy and look at the tv's from across the store. You will see a couple that are way better then the rest. Go over and see which ones they were and you will see they are LED tv's. Also, 240hz is the way to go.

I dont buy anything that is a black friday special. After working retail and seeing the junk they ship in for that one day, you really are getting a stripped down device that is not as capable as regular items Essentially you get what you pay for.
My brother worked for Ciircuit city for a couple years and discovered the same thing. the model numbers have an extra letter or number at the end that denotes the "black friday" special. Just price compare like you usually would. I got my 42 inch sanyo LCD which is just fine for the watching we do here. Of course i have two young boys and its usually PBS kids or netflix on there so i wasnt looking for anything spectacular. Its actually a nice television in my opinion.
They should all have HDMI cable inputs, the regular CATV screw on connector, and some more higher end ones have actual network connectivity so you can get certain services like hulu, netflix, facebook (of course :/) right on your television. More things to look for, it depends on what you would like to have.
Unless you are a serious videophile i would go LCD as it provides a better picture than a CRT for the most part if you get a 1080p resolution.
My buddy bought a nice LED television and that picture is amazing, almost makes you motion sick if you arent used to it it has so much depth. crazy.
Ive always wondered if stores did that, good to know that they do.

Co workers are looking for a TV and found this gem, and it looks like a semi decent TV for the price.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+55...8424568978&skuId=3641162&st=3641162&cp=1&lp=1

But, it makes me wonder why its so cheap. $900 for a 55", 1080p 120Hz seems like to good of a deal.

Newer technology coming out regularly makes these TVs prices drop quicker... My wife and I bought a 32" Olevia from Target roughly 5 years ago for $600...Those same TV's can now be had for $200.

When LED TV's first came out, they were $1,500+ for a 42" TV. Now with 3d TV's and Smart TV's becoming more and more popular the older technology is becoming cheaper.

I would personally check out the TV in person before buying online if it's a better deal online. Some lower end TV's don't have good settings and are still a bit blurry. For example: last year's Black Friday my mother in-law bought a 42" LCD Emerson from Wal-Mart for $350 or something close to that...the HD channels, movies and Blu-Ray look great, if you are watching a regular TV show that isn't HD the quality goes down dramatically and you can see pixels a lot easier.

On any major purchases (major being anything over $100) I like to see/test it out in person and read reviews until my eyes burn so I know what the pros/cons are.

End note: Don't let stellar prices fool you... it could just be they're making room for newer TV's or newer models. That's how these companies keep getting business...They sell you one product, and 2 months later come out with the same product but with one or two new features to entice you into upgrading again. How long did it take the iPhone 4 S or whatever to come out after the iPhone 4? Prime example :rolleyes:

Piece of advice, if you are picky and want the picture how director intended, either buy a calibration disk, get Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie, which have calibration set up for picture, or just google your model TV and find recommended settings.

Yes. And take it off "showroom" mode. Every company calls it something different but you want to use "movie" or something like that. Most sets are preset for the store showroom where they are about 4000000000000% too bright.

Great site. Another piece of advice, if its not to late. Never spend a lot of money on HDMI cables "MONSTER Cable" I have bough 15 cent cables off of amazon and they work just as well as $20 dollar ones. The only time you would really need to spend a lot of money is if you needed a long HDMI cable i.e. 25 Ft for a home theater set-up.

Great site. Another piece of advice, if its not to late. Never spend a lot of money on HDMI cables "MONSTER Cable" I have bough 15 cent cables off of amazon and they work just as well as $20 dollar ones. The only time you would really need to spend a lot of money is if you needed a long HDMI cable i.e. 25 Ft for a home theater set-up.

There is a huge mark-up on those items. Back when i was a Radio Shack sales associate i remember seeing the books on what we paid and what the markup was. IIRC it was about 400% on cables.

I have also seen "side by side" comparisons of Monster vs. other cable. And for the monster they used an HDMI and for the other just a composite. After that, I hated them even more. Have pissed off a few electronic store employees when I hear them recommend Monster now and I tell the costumer to go somewhere online and get them.

Back