• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easy fab, bumper modification.

POSJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am by no means a good fabricator. But I wanted to create this thread to show that anybody with a welder and some patients can burn some metal together. A lot of the guys that fab their own stuff talk down rather than help the people who have never done it before. It is a big jump getting into it at first, I've only bee welding for about 4 years on and off, self taught. I don't claim to be an expert or even be good at it.

I have a Bumper that I needed some light mounts on and a skid plate added to, also needs additional frame tie-in I'll do later.

Started by removing the bumper from the Comanche, and then started doing cardboard mock up.

Transfered the cardboard template to a piece of 1/8" plate. I don't have any fancy tools and I do the majority of my cuts with saws or angle grinders. For this I used a jigsaw. Below is the raw steel before cleaning it up.

Tacked in place:

Finish welded:

Skid plate was next, very simple. Cut a piece from my large sheet to 13 1/2" x 28 1/4" and the eyeballed the radius cut. After I cut one side I used the scrap and flipped it over to mirror the radius on the other side.

Cut:

I welded some nuts on the inside for easier install/removal. Here is the finished product installed.

Good tips for the timid when it comes to fabbing up their own junk. I myself am a self taught welder and have access to only an angle grinder, bandsaw,a 110v Lincoln MIG Welder and a 220v stick welder in a single car garage filled with crap.

Patience is by far the most important when making cuts on thick steel and having to constantly grind metal down to fit. Too much running back and forward and it is hard not to just try and only have to grind once and smash it in to fit.

I also recommend when using your templates to cut metal try to match shapes up so you can cut one line of metal for both pieces. Spending money on cutoff wheels is absurd :gonnablow

I will say it is rewarding though when it all comes together.

Cheers to all the guys fabbing with cheap tools :cheers:

I forgot to mention I use a Miller 211, I just got into this house and haven't installed 220v in the garage yet, the welds were done with 110v and three breaker trips.

Looks good. Welding was one of those learning curves that I though was really steep. It did take a while and I am OK at it now. It has opened up all types of possibilities and saved me cash in the long run

Back