• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easy battery/charging question

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased an optima red top a few weeks ago and I didn't run the vehicle for about a week while I was upgrading some things and yesterday it was dead. I jumped it and it started fine with the cables on it. I let it warm up and drove it a few miles, got into the garage, turned it off and then tried to start it again just to make sure that it was ok but it wouldn't start. Is my pricy red top a boat anchor now? Not sure if anything is different, never had an optima before. Thanks

I would make sure it was fully charged before you give up on it. Either put it on a battery charger overnight or drive it for a good trip.

K

I did all three of my jeeps at the same time, put em in at the store, they fired right up and have been running fine ever since [knock on wood]....curious how long they last though...my factory one lasted almost 5 years till I got nervous one cold morning and it seemed to growl a bit slower than usual..
Check the date on it too, could be real old stock...

i have the yellow top and my experiance is that due to there being deep cycle they take much longer to charge use a voltmeter should be around 14 volts i think

As I understand you, you should run the engine at least 30 minutes when it's bought, been dead or sitting a long time, or put it on a charger. If you had it hooked up while not using it for the week, after just buying it and letting it charge once, it wouldn't surprise me that it is dead. You will find a small current draw on the battery, added to the internal resistance inherent to all batteries, that will drain a partially charged battery.

Plus, now is a good time to clean the terminals on the cable ends, including at the block and starter. That's a strong battery, and as they say...

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

I agree, make sure it is fully charged before doing anything else... I have had a red top in mine for over 5 years now, and it is still going strong.....

You may want to bring that battery back. I bought an Optima Red Top too, and it lasted about 2 months and then wouldn't start the jeep anymore, wouldn't take a charge. I brought it back and the store tried to charge it, and it woulnd't take a charge either....ended up a cell went bad and it was defective, the store replaced it at no charge (other than me having to drive back and forth several times, borrowing my gf's car, almost wrecking it in the process....sofa flew off a truck in front of me, and not having my jeep for a week!)

Optimas do have a large failure rate, will above normal. But they are guaranteed and they last a long time if you get a good one.
No longer that a quality standard battery though.
I personaly find them a huge waste of money unless you need a sealed battery.

Back