• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-code H4 headlight conversion with comparison pics Cheaper than Silverstars

Just ordered a set of Autopals this morning. I'll be sure to post up comparison shots of the output.

Im still awaiting approval on a "best offer" on my autopals. I made the mistake of ordering the cheapo "diamond cut" or whatever lights the first time. I had just got the XJ and was in a hurry to buy somehting so I ordered them. They were still a great improvement over the factory yellow sealed beams but cant wait for the ecodes. I had projectors on my previous car and loved the distinct cut off pattern.

I already installed my relay box/headlight harness and it brightened up the lights considerably. The E-codes will just be gravy on top. Plus when I wired my harness I accidentally switched the signal wires so my high beam indicator is on when the lows are on and vice-versa. Then new Autopals will give me an excuse to go out and freze my ass off fixing it. party1:

I tried to lowball and get them for 21.99 and then 23.99, he denied me and countered with $25.01. So, guess I saved about $2. I upgraded to the 100/90W bulbs for the $6 so I guess I basically got them for $4.

Haha I tried to go for 22.50, and he countered for 24.95. Sucks dude you got jipped.

::edit. these were with the city lights::

I tried 21 something and got immediately denied, then bumped it to 23.01 and he countered with 25.50 . So I saved a measly $1.45. Oh well I can use it to grab a burrito at Taco Bell after I throw the lights in LOL.

I tried 21 something and got immediately denied, then bumped it to 23.01 and he countered with 25.50 . So I saved a measly $1.45. Oh well I can use it to grab a burrito at Taco Bell after I throw the lights in LOL.

Now if I can talk my nephew into buying my current "diamond cut" housings for like $15 or $20 I'll be happy.

City lights are popular in other countries where they drive mostly under street lights, and have tiny battery's and small alternators on engines that most Americans wouldn't put on their lawn mowers, at Gas prices that would make us all curl up cry and immediately run out and buy Honda insights. Thus the electrical demands of the alternator represent a significant drag on the engine, and lower fuel efficiency... and at anywhere from 4 to 8 dollars a liter (that's a little over half a gallon for the Metric impaired) a tiny alternator is an important fuel saving device.

Its annoying to oncoming traffic, and you get less usable light. The ricers are doing it because they think it looks cool and not because it works well. I put it in the same category as neon lights under the doors.

I have a set a AutoPals in my Comanche along with a home brew headlight relay setup and generic NAPA 80/100 H4 bulbs ($8 each, btw). They went from yellow undefined blobs of light to a great beam pattern. I never get flashed on the low beams and the high beams seriously light up the road.

I just wish I could track down a set of E-Codes for my 93 Grand Cherokee. I hate that Chrysler decided to go with the aero look at the expense of a decent headlight pattern.

I think Crown automotive carries E code's for the ZJ's, yes they are made, the stock ZJ lights are not allowed over there. I'm going to order a set soon, I have the link somewhere I just have to dig for it. They were like $35 ea.

I would rather start piecing together an HID setup than blow $170 on halogen headlights.

Danman, if you can get the component prices for less than $400, lots of folks would like to know. Maybe at the salvage yard.

Still, HID is DOT legal, and 55 watt max comparable output. I don't see where they outperform 100 watt H4's, Cibie or Hella. I have passed HID equipped cars on high beam and flipped mine on, Hella E-codes with 80/100's blow them away. I consistently see stop signs one mile down the road reflecting back. Haven't seen HID's do that.

Kinda like SM rated oil, not all things new actually work better.

Well, searching>you. Here is a complete kit already pieced together for under $300. Took about 27 seconds of ebay searching to find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...45&_trkparms=65:1|39:1|240:1318#ht_841wt_1120

But I'll go further than that. Here is an auction that ended for OEM Navigator ballasts, bulbs, and ignitors. $77.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...45&_trkparms=65:1|39:1|240:1318#ht_841wt_1120
And here are some projectors to go with them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...5&_trkparms=65:1|39:1|240:1318#ht_5359wt_1042

Still under $200...

As for comparing them to 100watt h4's, I call shennanigans. Have you ever seen some LS430 projectors with a 55watt kit in them? They blow away any halogen in terms of output consistency, output width, distance, AND lumens.

Here are some decent retro output pics...
hide46newaim4.jpg

gbnightwfog-03.jpg

e4650wboostcomparepc-01.jpg

LS430HID.jpg

Just look at the width.... and the light is where you need it... on the ground.
IMG_8462.jpg

Oh and btw those are all 35watt combos in the pics. None are 55. So imaging the same optics, with about 75% more lumens.

Last edited:
Haha I tried to go for 22.50, and he countered for 24.95. Sucks dude you got jipped.

::edit. these were with the city lights::

I hope this comment is not directed at me. If it is, you got a $0.06 savings over me and I got jipped? $0.06 is not something to even worry about, hell you can find that in the gutter along the street

Well, searching>you. Here is a complete kit already pieced together for under $300. Took about 27 seconds of ebay searching to find.

But I'll go further than that. Here is an auction that ended for OEM Navigator ballasts, bulbs, and ignitors. $77.
And here are some projectors to go with them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...5&_trkparms=65:1|39:1|240:1318#ht_5359wt_1042

Still under $200...

As for comparing them to 100watt h4's, I call shennanigans. Have you ever seen some LS430 projectors with a 55watt kit in them? They blow away any halogen in terms of output consistency, output width, distance, AND lumens.

Here are some decent retro output pics...
hide46newaim4.jpg

gbnightwfog-03.jpg

e4650wboostcomparepc-01.jpg

LS430HID.jpg

Just look at the width.... and the light is where you need it... on the ground.
IMG_8462.jpg

Oh and btw those are all 35watt combos in the pics. None are 55. So imaging the same optics, with about 75% more lumens.

Looks to me that all of those pictures have light shining directly across the street into oncoming drivers eyes. Not Good. sorry

if you think HID's are more 'blinding to oncoming traffic' your huffing paint. that would come from the optics of the housing. if your running chinese glass, thats your problem.
im running the same ipf h4 housing pre and post HID, im sorry if im the '3rd or 4th person to make the same post', yeah, because its the best way to go...

people who are afraid of HID technology should be ashamed of themselfs, for the ancient geezers they are... its brighter. simple as that. brighter = better
and i dont have more then $200 in my headlights, and theyre much brighter then any parts store h4 bulb. not to mention look a lot better.

I can't find the pictures, but here's the summary; the E4's are much better.

Dan, do you have more info about retrofiting HID's into a housing for the xj?

So what kind of housings do you need to get these HID setups into an XJ?

IPF is just an overpriced name brand that kids think make them look cool. HID or projector headlights in an XJ if done right are a great idea... But not a low buck one. If you want to make a thread about converting an XJ to HID go for it. I might follow it with interest myself (I'm sure there are already a few).

Meanwhile I've upgraded 3 vehicles with much better than stock lighting by removing a couple dozen screws and taking ten or 15 minutes worth of my time. And buying 3 pairs of headlights for less than the cost of a Junk Yard HID conversion would be for ONE vehicle. That's bang for the buck.

Autopal's aren't chinese, and there's been some suggestions that they are made by the same factory that puts out Cibies.

Again this is an old tired argument in this thread, you're on a board that caters to Jeep XJ's: guess what, most of us are more interested in bang for the buck, then paying silly amounts of money for something because it has a multi colored coating on the lens and the initials IPF... and that's basically what you're paying for as I have seen countless reviews of IPF products (among others) where the overpriced designer name has not managed to compensate for the mediocre quality of the actual product. Unless they've turned over a new leaf in the last year or two, they have a tendency to perform with products that cost nearly half as much.

From your attitude it sounds like you should be driving a BMW SUV, because messing around with XJ's sure doesn't match up with your haughty "best way to go" philosophy.

And lastly:
"not to mention look a lot better"
yeah... lets face it, that sentence is all anybody really needs to know about why you value HID so much.

I'm late to the party! I just ordered mine...
I read the whole epic thread, it's probably in there some where but does any one have a link to buy a pre made up grade harness that won't break the bank?

Many Thanks

Back