• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durhamtown/Tellico to close

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1508-durhamtown-tellico-trails-will-close-september-8th/

From fourwheeler.com:

The unfortunate news that the Durhamtown Tellico trails will be closing on September 8th of this year was just announced. According to a post on their Facebook page The Division of Mineral, Energy and Land Resources has declared that the timber cutting on the property is done strictly to create ATV trails, which means they must now comply to commercial development standards. This leaves two options for the Durhamtown Tellico trails, either they comply by getting permits and paperwork will cost in excess of $350,000 or they can fight the Government in court with an unknown time-frame and exponential cost.
We are truly upset over this news after spending time on the awesome trials on this year’s Ultimate Adventure. Unfortunately this isn’t the first time we have heard of trails having to close due to government agency rulings, and we know it won’t be the last. Reach out to Durhamtown Tellico and Tread Lightly to see if you can help them stop the closure of another off-road park.
We will keep you updated with more information as it’s released.
Source: Durhamtown Tellico

From: http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/150...rails-will-close-september-8th/#ixzz3k3Rp3OSA
Follow us: @fwmag on Twitter | fourwheelermag on Facebook

Feds don't like the name Tellico apparently.

No, feds just don't like offroading. That's painfully apparent. I've been in the hobby for many years and I've seen it happen way more often than I can remember. I will say it's quite a shock that this is happening so soon after they opened, and so quickly. They've been open what, two years? Now we get the announcement that it'll be gone in two weeks. I fear that this new tactic will set a precedent in which they will arm themselves to launch new attacks on other privately owned OHV parks, so the perceived veil we've all enjoyed with privately owned land no longer appears to conceal us from the overreaching gov't arm. It sucks ass and until we as a whole OHV community start to push back hard, it will continue to happen and unfortunately the opposition has way better lawyers than we do; I witnessed this first hand at the Tellico hearing in Bryson City. We got our asses handed to us on a silver platter with very little apparent effort on the opposition's side.

Another post:

"DEMLR has agreed to let the land owner continue to cut his timber until Sept 30 then must move out only if we stop the riding on the property on sept 8 if not fines begin immediately only Politicians with more power than us can apply pressure to get DEMLR to work with us....

$700/ linear ft for a 20 ft pipe or a rock stream or drainage run off
this is for the permit only not included is the construction to their specifications. Some areas it is impossible to to get crushed stone up that high... this is their way of taking the blame away from them by making it impossible to meet their request and demands so we stop using the property for any type of recreation.... ..."

Back