• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango steering box install (56k beware)

It just allows you to use the 4th bolt on a different model steering gear. You can still install these gears without that kit, you just don't use the 4th ear on the gear housing. Some early YJ gears were like this I think, as were some J10 and Waggy gears. They'll all bolt up to an XJ just fine though (from what I've read anyway). I think those gears have the same benefits as a Durango gear - ie: more power assist, slightly quicker ratio.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good kit, and if I was going to install a gear that used 4 bolts, I'd probably look into that kit, but it's not a necessity to be able to install those other steering gears.

Ok I have a question about this set up. I have 35" tires & lockers in my jeep & turning it on tight trails is REALLY hard to do. Do you guys think that this would help my steering problem? I saw in a few other post that people were useing rock rams & were haing good luck, But I would rather not do that if this would work for me. So what do you guys think??? Would this set up have enough power to turn my tire's? Thanks for the help, Joe

Don't know how I missed it when it was originally posted, but thanks Jason. Nice write-up. I've bookmarked it for future reference.... just in case.

:) I'll also have a full write-up post on Jeepin.com later this spring, but it'll likely just be a rehash of the this wite-up that I've posted to all the forums.

Thanks Jason. But I havent seen the 2 low kit for the 242 yet. Does any one make one? I just spent 400 on the locker in the front & I would hate to spend another 900 on a arb set up. I guess the rock ram is the only choice I have.

Jeepin Jason said:
It just allows you to use the 4th bolt on a different model steering gear. You can still install these gears without that kit, you just don't use the 4th ear on the gear housing. Some early YJ gears were like this I think, as were some J10 and Waggy gears. They'll all bolt up to an XJ just fine though (from what I've read anyway). I think those gears have the same benefits as a Durango gear - ie: more power assist, slightly quicker ratio.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good kit, and if I was going to install a gear that used 4 bolts, I'd probably look into that kit, but it's not a necessity to be able to install those other steering gears.

Jason's right. Using the 4 bolt box off of an '87 YJ (though commonly found on just about any post '87 saginaw equiped rig like chevy too) you'll end up with a better steering ratio. The stock XJ box has a variable rate steering setup to make the old ladies more comfortable on the way to the grocery store but the 4 bolt boxes have a fixed ratio that's 3.4:1 I believe. We have this kit installed on one of our shop rigs (Rockyacht's) and it made quite a difference in the rocks.

Matt

[font=&quot]Where did you get that nice looking power steering pump reservoir cap? My cap is crap and I need a new one anyway.[/font]

I'm doing this next week and was going to pm you, but for the benefit of all, do you know the thread size of those 3 mount bolts through the frame? I know the stock ones won't be long enough and I can get grade 8 ones here in town.

still curious, but what's the verdict on if it improves steering large tires at all? Also, does this limit the turning radius?

Digging up an older thread to ask for an update. :)

My stock steering box is on it's way out, fast. I actually have play side to side from the shaft that the pitman arm attaches to and it's leaking fluid all around it pretty good.

The three options I'm weighing out are:
remanufactured stock box ($185 at AutoZone w/core swap)
remanufactured stock Durango box (about $310 at AutoZone w/o core swap)
PSC heavy duty box ($330 w/o cylinder ports)

Just wondering how happy you've been with the Durango steering box. I would just go for a new stock set-up, but I'd rather have a little more power to turn, and less turns lock to lock would be nice too. Either the Durango or the PSC fits the bill, and since they're almost the same price have been leaning towards the PSC, but I'm just not sure if it's that much of an improvement. For $60 more, I can get the PSC with the ram assist cylinder ports, but I'm not ready to ditch my Currie steering set-up, and paying more just to get the ports and then plug them until I want to redo everything seems like a waste.

i would like to do this swap
can any one tell me everything i need

i know i need a v8 box 99 or newer
and longer bolts

i read a nother tread that talk about a 1'' spacer whats that about

Back