• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durabak project progress (PICS)

IslanderXJ said:
Water fording, kids with sodas, girlfriends with coffee, tracking in mud, snow and sand. Just pull the drain plugs and hose it out!

What Color/Type of Durabak is that? I've got the same color interior and it seams to match really well.

We probably have the same Jeep lol. I have a 92' Limited, black with tan interior, 3" lift and 31s :)

Anyway, it is the sand color, it costs more, but I wanted to keep the factory color/look. It is $119 p/gallon and I ordered it directly from the Durabak company. The actual Durabak product is made by Cote-L industries (who also makes Herculiner) and is really called DURABAK-18.

Here's some more images of it with no flash.
durabak014.jpg

durabak015.jpg

durabak016.jpg

Tonight I'm putting the trim, console and seats back in. And since someone tipped me off that the console will now potentially vibrate, I'm going to have to make some sort of braces for it to keep it steady as well.

Last edited:
unrealtrip said:
Tonight I'm putting the trim, console and seats back in. And since someone tipped me off that the console will now potentially vibrate, I'm going to have to make some sort of braces for it to keep it steady as well.

Why do that? Cut the under-console part of the carpet out and put it back under the console. Probably an inch of protrusion around the console would be sufficient to ensure that it damps out the vibes without being a PITA to align, and "should" be above the high-water mark.

Hmm, how about door-style weatherstripping attached to the console lower edge?

Rob

Rob Mayercik said:
Why do that? Cut the under-console part of the carpet out and put it back under the console. Probably an inch of protrusion around the console would be sufficient to ensure that it damps out the vibes without being a PITA to align, and "should" be above the high-water mark.

Hmm, how about door-style weatherstripping attached to the console lower edge?

Rob

Hrm, that is a good idea, it is above the high water mark that carpet is still good, I could trim that out. Although it might look goofy with a 1" carpet edge all the way around the console. I like the weatherstripping idea a lot though. I'll have to fit everything back up and see how much of a gap there is now.

unrealtrip said:
We probably have the same Jeep lol. I have a 92' Limited, black with tan interior, 3" lift and 31s
We do have the same Jeep!!
Started like this:
99_1.jpg

Now its like this:
68626658_213611665_0.gif

Sand colored DURABAK-18... $119 gal, perfect!
EDIT: I couldn't find sand on their website... got a link?

Last edited:
IslanderXJ said:
We do have the same Jeep!!
Started like this:
99_1.jpg

Now its like this:
68626658_213611665_0.gif

Sand colored DURABAK-18... $119 gal, perfect!
EDIT: I couldn't find sand on their website... got a link?

lol, that's exactly what mine looked like when I got it too. I'm in the progress of building it up, but lots of little projects here and there going on getting things right as well, (headlights, trimming, electric fan, etc)

Anyway, here's where I ordered from: https://www.durabakcompany.com/secure/order.htm

You want the SAND / TEXTURED / UV one.

Here's the color chart sample page:
http://www.durabakcompany.com/colorchart.htm

Ok got the console, trim etc back into the Jeep and everything looks good. Only one spot I didn't really think of remains exposed, that's the area around the transfer case selector, but itisn't that big of a deal. I coul din theory make something to cover it but I think it looks fine as it is. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it overall. The color is awesome and with the floormats it's fairly stock looking. It also does a pretty good job of sound deadening and it really is not very loud at all, except for sound from the xfer case, but as it was mentioned, I could cut out that section of the carpet and lay it under the console, which I think I will do. The bolts that hold the console in are actually plenty to keep it nice and stationary and it doesn't rattle at all.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out and would definitely do it again. 2 thumbs up.

Sorry color balance is all jacked, it was dark by the time I could nab pics so they're lit by my shop light.

durabak100.jpg

durabak101.jpg

durabak102.jpg

durabak103.jpg

durabak104.jpg

durabak105.jpg

How hard would it be to reinstall the carpet after coating it? I am thinking of puting a nice thick coat down if I can reinstall my carpet fairly easy. Im sure it would be cheaper than going the dynomat or something similiar to that route....

that looks real good. I'm debating whether or not to do this in my 2000. I have water leaking in the door i think, and i can see some rust starting. I'm afraid it won't be so nice inside once i do this so i am going back and forth. My interior is gray. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the compliments, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Xba: You could put the carpet back with ease, although I wanted the hose out value that it gives.

BGXJ: If you have the proper heat shielding in place I say go for it, worst case scenario if you don't like it, just put your carpet back. Check out the grey color options: http://www.durabakcompany.com/colorchart.htm

dark-grey.jpg

and

grey.jpg

XbajajeepX said:
How hard would it be to reinstall the carpet after coating it? I am thinking of puting a nice thick coat down if I can reinstall my carpet fairly easy. Im sure it would be cheaper than going the dynomat or something similiar to that route....
Cut your carpet into small, removable chunks:

Driver floor, passenger floor, under front seats, a long strip for the rear foot area, a strip under the rear seat, and then the entire cargo area.

That's how I did mine and I can have it out in about 10 minutes taking my time.

Gaius said:
Looks real good. I expect those mats to move around, though. Mine do in my TJ.

My '99 has clips that hold the front rubber mats in place. I plan on using those when I remove my carpet. You should find some hold downs from the local parts store.

Did you do 2 coats? How much did you have left over? How much and where did you purchase?

Very cool.

Great, another project for when spring comes!

J/K... I like it a lot! It should keep the floor from rusting from the top-down up here in the icy north! (I already have the underside and inner structures rust-proofed.)

Good write-up!

:)

Power5 said:
My '99 has clips that hold the front rubber mats in place. I plan on using those when I remove my carpet. You should find some hold downs from the local parts store.

Did you do 2 coats? How much did you have left over? How much and where did you purchase?

all: Thx for the compliments, I'm very happy with it. :)

Actually because the surface is basically like a rough grit sandpaper (I racked my knuckles on it putting my seatbelts back in when my hand slipped) the floor mats don't seem to move around. I may do a clip/velcro thing however if it turns out to be an issue. thx for the tip.

Anyway, I did 3 coats, the 3rd was really more of a light finding thin spots one and I have a little less than 1/4 of the can left. Which is good, I wanted to keep some so I could do repairs if need be, etc.

I paid $119 directly from the Durabak company. I did call them to check about what effects the heat insulating ceramic bead paint additive would have on the Durabak and they seemed to be pretty cool guys. I ended up not using it in the end as it didn't seem to be necc.

https://www.durabakcompany.com/secure/order.htm

How much louder is your Jeep now with all your carpet out and that stuff in its place?

53guy said:
How much louder is your Jeep now with all your carpet out and that stuff in its place?

I'm sure he will probably reply back as well regarding the loudness...but I PM'd him something similiar about the noise and he responded back to me with:

There is definitely some more noise, mostly from the tcase really, but honestly I don't think it is that bad at all and I would definitely do it again. I'd also consider the year though, I mean I have a 1992 so my carpet was like 16 years old and had water damage so I really didn't have much choice.

Yeah, I was figuring. I had to pull my rear carpet because it was moldy and it's pretty noisy back there now.

53guy said:

It's not too bad, I'm going to try to record some audio on minidisc today so people can hear for themselves what it sounds like.

smccollamjr said:
How hot does the passenger side floor above the exhaust get?

No heat at all, I made heatshields for my cat and muffler and I'm using header wrap on my downpipe. I waited until I finished that stuff before doing the liner. My floorboards are cool to the touch. :)

Back