• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dumb flag questions

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
Almost embarassed to ask this but...if I don't I'll never know. I've seen military uniforms that have the American flag on them. I think all the ones I've seen are actually a velcro patch. I was recently in the presence of quite a few military personnel and saw it again. Here's the questions:

1. Why is the flag attached via velcro (if it truly is)?

2. Why does the flag appear "backwards" like the reflection of a mirror?

-river

riverfever said:
Almost embarassed to ask this but...if I don't I'll never know. I've seen military uniforms that have the American flag on them. I think all the ones I've seen are actually a velcro patch. I was recently in the presence of quite a few military personnel and saw it again. Here's the questions:

-river

For number one I haven't a clue. Though some likely guesses.

For number two, my understanding is, when the flag is hung and not flown, the blue field should be to the left as you are looking at the flag.

riverfever said:

-river

An answer to pretty much every question regarding the Flag Code can be found here. Doesn't cover the velcro part, though. I'm guessing it may be there for removal in certain tactical situations - or it may be as simple as removal for laundering to avoid damage.

The main reason the flag is velcroed on is so that it can be taken off if need be, I've seen them sewed on too.

I've been wondering why their on backwards as well.

right about the velcro . the military as a whole is going to more utility based uniforms with less sewing on of anything , velcro patches of all types makes things easy for everone especially when at the front and you get new uniforms you dont have to look for someoen with thread and needle to sew things on

IIRC, it only appears that way on the right shoulder. The flag is set as if it were blowing in the breeze caused by advancing forward.

If I remember right from when i was in the Army in the late 80's,early 90's it meant that you were part of a QRF (quick reactionary force). I remember this cause one of the lt's in our unit thought it wouild be cool to wear one around on his desert camo bdu's when we were in saudi/iraq/kuwait for operation desert shield/storm. the company commander reamed his butt royally!!:) it wasn't appropriate cause we weren't a QRF.

their velcro so that you can switch them between uniforms, and also for the reason of being in combat..if your lets say, shot down in a helicopter, you would want to remove all "personal" information about yourself..in the army our name tapes and rank are also velcro...

THe flag is flown backwards on your arm to give the look of it "flying" in the wind as you are advancing in combat..

ApacheMechanic said:
their velcro so that you can switch them between uniforms, and also for the reason of being in combat..if your lets say, shot down in a helicopter, you would want to remove all "personal" information about yourself..in the army our name tapes and rank are also velcro...

THe flag is flown backwards on your arm to give the look of it "flying" in the wind as you are advancing in combat..

He 100% right. That was on the History Channels Mail Call some time ago.

If was on this tread before Apache was here I would have said the very same exact thing.:thumbup:

5a51139r.jpg

heading towards battle.. not running away..

When the flag is displayed, it is "hung" in one of three ways...
1) Stripes vertical, blue field at the FLAG's top right. (Static display)
2) Striped horizontal, blue field at the FLAG's top right. (Static display)
3) Blue field to the WEARER's front, at the FLAG's top (uniform display, usually on shoulders.) This presents the impression of "forward motion" at all times - as if the flag is blowing in the wind of the wearer's movement.

The use of Velcro on personnel field uniforms is relatively recent, but the idea there is to make the uniform "purgable." Enemy snipers tend to like to pick on officers and people who "stand out" due to their insignia - this both accounts for the reduction in rank insignia, but also for the ability to readily remove it.

Typically, the flag is not on a military uniform in the first place, unless you are assigned as part of a 'multinational force' of some variety (coalition force or UN assignment.) If only the US was responding in Araby, they would likely not be wearing flags.

5-90

The US flag is now worn on the BDU and ACU uniforms by all members of the Army, including those of us stateside. The versions that have velcro on them are for the ACU uniform, which uses velcro to hold the name tapes, rank and unit patches on. The BDU flags are sewn on.

Wow...thanks guys. When I was at the funeral for Seth Stanton, that's when I really starting noticing the flag patches. There was a guy there with a red TJ who was in uniform and I should have just asked him but I didn't.

Now I get it. :cheers:

I have been out for 23 years, only our Aviators (pilots)
( HHC 12th CAG, Weisbaden Germany) wore the flag back then. I assumed they were velcro'd in case of being shot down and could remove a non earthtone color to be removed and placed in pocket.

I remember when we went to the Berlin wall, everone had to remove rank,unit and country identification on our uniforms.

:patriot:

What a depressing place the Berlin Wall was. It did my heart good to see it come down, brought a tear to my eye...my wife couldn't understand why....guess she had to be there
Most ppl don't realize that the apartment buildings you could see from the wall were not inhabited, you would see a little old lady hanging laundry, but that was her job. All propaganda to make ppl think life was good on the other side.

dizzymac said:
What a depressing place the Berlin Wall was. It did my heart good to see it come down, brought a tear to my eye...my wife couldn't understand why....guess she had to be there
Most ppl don't realize that the apartment buildings you could see from the wall were not inhabited, you would see a little old lady hanging laundry, but that was her job. All propaganda to make ppl think life was good on the other side.

Yeah, the wall was a bit depressing. Having been stationed there when it was up was sure an experience. Living within the wall was a trip.

Back