• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dull Molding and Trim...

Deyman

NAXJA Forum User
I found a product called "Forever Black" and was wondering if anyone else has tried it. I think it's actually a black dye for bumpers and trim. I'm just about to the point of painting those crappy looking dull gray flares and side moldings, but with what? I'm sick of treating them after every wash.

Deyman

Dupli-color makes a bumper paint("Bumper Coating"?) Specifically for plastic. It holds up quite well.

They also have a plastic primer/adhesion promoter ("CP199"?)

I have fading/scuffed fender flare issues, too, and I'm wondering about the best way to clean up/paint them: mask them off or remove them, paint and reinstall. Opinions? Instructions for either the best way to mask or remove/reinstall?

Tim
01 XJ

tacottle said:
I have fading/scuffed fender flare issues, too, and I'm wondering about the best way to clean up/paint them: mask them off or remove them, paint and reinstall. Opinions? Instructions for either the best way to mask or remove/reinstall?

Tim
01 XJ

You have to watch out when taking the flares off, the bolts tend to snap off. Mine were siezed something ugly, don't know if its common with all XJs, but up here in IN they use alot more salt on the roads and the bolts get siezed pretty easy. When I took mine off to replace them with Bushwackers every single bolt snapped! I would just mask them off with some newspaper. You could also use Herculiner, I just did my flares and rockers and have to say it looks pretty good.

For best results you should take them off. Depending on the conditions that you have driven in the bolts should still be OK to remove being that it is only a 01. There is some new products on the market that help bring back the luster of plastics that have fading damage. You might look into that before thinking of pulling and painting.

Here is a kinda of a kind write up that I posted in another forum... JU! Don't know if this illegal or not. :dunce:

I used Krylon Fusion on my trim with great results, it looks very professional.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=549263&highlight=black+trim

Oh ya, I would suggest to shoot it with 303 Protectant spray for UV protection, to help keep the fade away, also good for your dash and interior trim plus roof racks...etc.
Here is link: http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

You can get some free samples, if you at the right hand column. Good Luck!
:viking:

Last edited:
Back