• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DS question for "Oaky" Terry

Fine, you drug it out of me....

It's corked.
ohsnap1.gif

cumorglas said:
Read that one start to finish awhile back and it has been rattling around in my head since. Re-read it tonight and found the answer to c but not the answer to the rest.

you make cryptic mention to liquid nails and yokes. and while there is detail on the pressure treating you leave out whether the peice is solid or laminated.
what a bunch of a-holes

what Terry doesn't mention is that his Cherokee has the 4-cylnder rather than the 4.0 6-cylinder. Look up the difference in torque between these two motors and you'll see what a joke this is.

what he also doesn't mention is that most of his gearing is in the axle, not the transfer case, so the axles take most of the torque and that he's cut half the body off his Jeep to reduce weight.

the devil's in the details...

MaXJohnson said:
what Terry doesn't mention is that his Cherokee has the 4-cylnder rather than the 4.0 6-cylinder. Look up the difference in torque between these two motors and you'll see what a joke this is.
This doesn't bother me much. the vehicle i am thinking about doing this with is a four as well. and is currently missing much of its body. some of that body will be replaced with lightweight,strong laminated panels of cedar, s-glass, and kevlar.
MaXJohnson said:
what he also doesn't mention is that most of his gearing is in the axle, not the transfer case, so the axles take most of the torque and that he's cut half the body off his Jeep to reduce weight.

the devil's in the details...

this is a little more concerning as the wee beastie is getting a 231/300combo. however i think that doing spiral layers of veneer and axial carbon should handle it just fine. Again i am mostly concerned with the details of yoke attachment. i have a few ideas, but as his has obviously worked I would really like details, rather than reinvent the wheel.

:rolleyes:

:conceited

OK... let's end this before anyone gets hurt or mad or at the least really embarrassed.

EVER HEAR OF WOOD GRAINED CONTACT PAPER??

EVER HEAR ONE OF TOM WOODS' DS's called a WOODY?

THUS THE JOKE!!!

I know, I'm a kill joy. :lecture:

Rocketman said:
OK... let's end this before anyone gets hurt or mad or at the least really embarrassed.

EVER HEAR OF WOOD GRAINED CONTACT PAPER??

EVER HEAR ONE OF TOM WOODS' DS's called a WOODY?

THUS THE JOKE!!!

I know, I'm a kill joy. :lecture:

Wow. Take yourself a bit seriously, eh?:passgas:

No not at all, but a couple newb's joined in also thinking it was a great DS.
We gotta help out the newb's, not bust their balls ALL the time...:gee:

C'mon now, Rob, don't take this thread so seriously.
If real research and a logical eye were used, this thread wouldn't have been near as fun as it turned out.
And I'm sure the sailor won't be too offended.
I hope not.:D

Yeah... you're right.

I've been the recipient of some jokes like that in the past and you feel like such a dork when the light finally comes on. It's OK to laugh along with someone but not laughing AT them, especially when you don't know them.

We both have seen some thin skinned types got pretty hacked in their first few posts and they gave up on NAXJA early. We sometimes never give them the chance to let their skin "thicken" a bit.

I don't know, part of me also says Fawk Em if they can't take a joke! I'm on the fence on this one.

OT said:
I tend to agree, with you.
I think he'll laugh along with us, in this case.

I will. i missed the context of the thread, having stumbled upon it this july. without the context i took OT's protestations seriously.

but i will also be a little disappointed. because i really like this idea. figuring out the yoke attachment is the only thing keeping me from setting up the vacuum bag and building one for real.

cumorglas said:
I will. i missed the context of the thread, having stumbled upon it this july. without the context i took OT's protestations seriously.

but i will also be a little disappointed. because i really like this idea. figuring out the yoke attachment is the only thing keeping me from setting up the vacuum bag and building one for real.

You are diggin' a hole...........:dunce:

you said you had some ideas on yoke attachment, what were they.

Ramsey said:
you said you had some ideas on yoke attachment, what were they.

I had a couple variations of two basic themes.

when attaching fittings to the end of a composite spar I would usually make he make one of the OD match the other ID. press the fitting either on or in, and then supplement with a couple rivets to keep it from spinning or backing out. Masthead fittings however do very little in torsion. so my initial thought would be to have the laminate solid at the yoke end and use a shear pin to pin the yoke in place. careful selection of the shear pin could actually make sure that you never blow an axle or r&p. but doing it this way won't gain much over the all steel conventional ds.

the other basic theme would be to notch the yoke and shaft and glue it together with a high modulus two phase epoxy (one that needs to be baked after the initial cure) this way would definitely handle the torsional stresses, but may have issues when I inevitably hang the whole damn thing on a rock. I think i would have to build a couple models of this style joint and test them before committing to building the rest of it. actually no matter which way i do the yoke ends this would be the way i would have to do the slip joint .

Back