• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drunk trucking: Protected?

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
Just found this:
Feds to Trucking Company: You Cannot Fire Alcoholic Drivers

The federal government has sued a major trucking company for its firing of driver with an admitted alcohol abuse problem.

Alcoholism is classified as a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the suit maintains, and therefore employees cannot be prohibited even from driving 18 wheelers due to their histories of abuse.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which filed the suit against the Old Dominion Freight Line trucking company on August 16, noted that while “an employer’s concern regarding safety on our highways is a legitimate issue, an employer can both ensure safety and comply with the ADA.”
Link: http://blog.heritage.org/2011/08/30...rs/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The driver in question apparently still has a license(not specified) and no alcohol related incidents with the company. He self reported the problem, was suspended, referred to counseling, and told her would not be reinstated to a driving position. Story didn't specify weather the company would hire him in a non-driving position, but the wording of the article leads me to believe they would. The suite was filed because they wouldn't re-instate him as a driver.

Thoughts?

as long as he's not driving under the influence what's the big deal? Just because you have an alcohol abuse problem doesn't mean you are drunk 24 hours a day.

who wouldve thought drunk truckers and gays would have so much in common..

or are we talking about gay drunk truckers? I lost track

either way I know someone who calls them self a drunk in front of roomfulls of people 2x a week and hasn't had a drink in like 30 years.
besides being a on old jackass w chunks of feet amputated possibly preventing it from being possible. I see no reason she shouldn't be able to drive a semi..

I wish she would now that I think about it.. (my mother in law is super nasty mean to everyone)

who wouldve thought drunk truckers and gays would have so much in common..

or are we talking about gay drunk truckers? I lost track

either way I know someone who calls them self a drunk in front of roomfulls of people 2x a week and hasn't had a drink in like 30 years.
besides being a on old jackass w chunks of feet amputated possibly preventing it from being possible. I see no reason she shouldn't be able to drive a semi..

I wish she would now that I think about it.. (my mother in law is super nasty mean to everyone)

whatamireading.png

on second thought I wonder if this guy admitted to drinking on the job.

if one of our guys did I wouldn't let him drive our truck/equipment ever again.. Probably replace him w someone who wants to work as well.. Too many good ppl without jobs to put up w bad employees.

love the respone there grimm.. I'm joking (kinda) and exagerating ( a lil')

Last edited:
If being an alcoholic DOES affect their job (late to work, loss of drivers liscense, ect...) they should lose there job as a truck driver.

By the way, stop texting and driving. It sure is scary to see a truck driver texting......it is like being drunk and driving.

I think people have come to associate drunk driving and being an alcoholic when they shouldn't. Someone can go out and drink for the first time in their life and get behind the wheel. At the same time, someone can be a total alcoholic their entire life and never once drink and drive. They are two separate issues that some times cross over.

If the guy is doing his job and is sober when he clocks in, I see no problem.

If they arent drinking on the Job I see no issue. Pretty similar to firing someone cuz they are gay.
What? How does being gay qualify as a disability or affect your ability to drive? Aside maybe from the limp wrist problem...:D
I think people have come to associate drunk driving and being an alcoholic when they shouldn't. Someone can go out and drink for the first time in their life and get behind the wheel. At the same time, someone can be a total alcoholic their entire life and never once drink and drive. They are two separate issues that some times cross over.

If the guy is doing his job and is sober when he clocks in, I see no problem.
I'd have to say that a true alcoholic most likely does drink and drive, probably on a somewhat regular basis. A drunk on the other can go out, get wasted, and not drink and drive. An alcoholic almost always has a drink. The difference would come in if this was a man who realized his problem, sought treatment, and has reformed himself. I've known a few who've gone through that and wouldn't have a problem trusting them. The biggest thing you hear is that you never stop being an alcoholic, but you can get sober.

If being an alcoholic DOES affect their job (late to work, loss of drivers liscense, ect...) they should lose there job as a truck driver.

By the way, stop texting and driving. It sure is scary to see a truck driver texting......it is like being drunk and driving.

"I was sitting nekkid in a beabag chair eatin' Cheetos..."

Last week, I was at Fry's picking up a few things, and saw a fun little retail app for "smartphones."

It's disables texting if the phone senses it's moving above a certain threshhold speed (set by the user.)

The problems I have with this app?
- It's optional. Instead of purchasing it at a store, it should come pre-installed on every smartphone (and other phones with GPS tracking.)
- It's $25. Hah? Given that it can enhance roadway safety, it should be free.
- The speed setting is user-programmable. I'm assuming there's some small security (so parents can set it for their kids,) but the speed setting should be set to zero and bloody left there! Even on the back of the box, it said that DWT makes you four times as likely to get into a roads incident than DWI (I call it an "incident" - a collision caused by a deliberate lack or lapse of attention is most certainly not "accidental." Kinda like how the phrase "accidental discharge" has been replaced with "negligent discharge" - if your firearm discharges a round when you don't intend for it to, what did you do wrong?)

I can remember even talking on the phone (I don't know how to text, nor do I wish to know...) twice in the last fifteen years - in both cases, it was a bona fide medical emergency (respiratory distress on the way to the doctor - reroute to ER) and the conversations were deliberately kept as short as possible. Seeing people just casually driving around while they're on the phone makes me itch all over...

Preamble, I am not saying drunk driving is safe or not something to be taken deathly serious.

I think texting and driving may just be worse than drunk driving. Ever see someone drunk on the road, they sort of lazily drift all over road from what I've seen. They seem to come around and move back into their lane.

A person texting always seems to be in a hurry to start with and not aware they drift out of their lane and when they do, it's a sudden shock to them. That sudden jerk to regain control I've seen sends them across many lanes.

On the way to work one I saw a women texting, she drifted and slowed down so much the car behind her(in front of me) attempted to pass her. The women texting must had realized she was off the road nearly and swerved back on the road. She didn't notice the car directly next to her who barely avoided being hit.

Last week, I was at Fry's picking up a few things, and saw a fun little retail app for "smartphones."

It's disables texting if the phone senses it's moving above a certain threshhold speed (set by the user.)

- It's optional. Instead of purchasing it at a store, it should come pre-installed on every smartphone (and other phones with GPS tracking.)
- The speed setting is user-programmable. I'm assuming there's some small security (so parents can set it for their kids,) but the speed setting should be set to zero and bloody left there! Even on the back of the box, it said that DWT makes you four times as likely to get into a roads incident than DWI (I call it an "incident" - a collision caused by a deliberate lack or lapse of attention is most certainly not "accidental." Kinda like how the phrase "accidental discharge" has been replaced with "negligent discharge" - if your firearm discharges a round when you don't intend for it to, what did you do wrong?)

I can remember even talking on the phone (I don't know how to text, nor do I wish to know...) twice in the last fifteen years - in both cases, it was a bona fide medical emergency (respiratory distress on the way to the doctor - reroute to ER) and the conversations were deliberately kept as short as possible. Seeing people just casually driving around while they're on the phone makes me itch all over...
What about passengers wanting to text?
Preamble, I am not saying drunk driving is safe or not something to be taken deathly serious.

I think texting and driving may just be worse than drunk driving. Ever see someone drunk on the road, they sort of lazily drift all over road from what I've seen. They seem to come around and move back into their lane.

A person texting always seems to be in a hurry to start with and not aware they drift out of their lane and when they do, it's a sudden shock to them. That sudden jerk to regain control I've seen sends them across many lanes.

On the way to work one I saw a women texting, she drifted and slowed down so much the car behind her(in front of me) attempted to pass her. The women texting must had realized she was off the road nearly and swerved back on the road. She didn't notice the car directly next to her who barely avoided being hit.
Not to defend the idiot texting, but the idiot passing shouldn't have been trying to fit two across the lane. Tests have been done showing reaction times to be slightly worse for texters than drunks.

I caught a police officer driving and texting at the same time, he didn't look very amused when I asked him to stop while sitting next to him at the next red light.

Myth busters did a test on whether you were less reactive drunk or on the phone and being on the phone failed every time, I can only imagine that texting would be exponentially worse since you actually have to read and manipulate various buttons.

I still chuckle when I see the signs on the side of the highway asking you to dial 911 to report drunk drivers, they're deliberately asking you to break the law (at least here in CA) :D

And to add to that, what if i'm walking through my apartment and texting?

Most states (NC included) have banned texting while driving, which is good. The problem lies in the fact that almost every phone now requires that multiple keys be hit, just to get to a dial pad to make a phone call, which can be taken as texting by an officer driving past you. Unless you have bluetooth and can go through your vehicles radio.

Call it a temporary inconvenience, and get the drivers to stop first. Next imbecile that misses me by inches (well under a foot) and holds his 'phone up like it's a valid reason to narrowly miss someone - or doesn't notice because he's on the damned 'phone in the first place, is going to be hauled out of his vehicle and beaten to death (or close to it.)

When driving, you're in control of a two-ton metal missile - act like it!

Not to defend the idiot texting, but the idiot passing shouldn't have been trying to fit two across the lane. Tests have been done showing reaction times to be slightly worse for texters than drunks.

Precisely - which is why texting in motion needs to be outlawed, and the restrictions on passengers may be eased (I honestly think that a good punishment for DWT is suspension for a year - for the first offense. Structure it as 1/3/5/Revoked. Handle DWI the same way - I read about someone on his fifth or sixth DWI, and I want to wallop him and the judges that kept letting him do it. There seems to be a pattern forming...)

If you don't want to set it all the way down to zero (I've nearly been walked into by people busy with their damned 'phones, so I have a rather Draconian view of it. Especially when they almost run into me, then carry on like it's my fault that I was walking where they weren't watching! They've even come awfully close to me when I stop and wait for them to go by... People get on those damned cellphones and just tune out...) then crank it down to, say, 2mph. Very few vehicles go that slow, and you'll even be forced to slow down walking and pay attention to your surroundings.

Yeah, maybe I'm just nasty. Maybe I'm overly strict. But, until people realise that "just because you have one doesn't mean you have to use it all the time" and let up a bit on the damned 'phone, I'm going to agitate for some heavy rules on them.

It's worse with smaller children - why does an eight- or ten-year-old even need a cellphone in the first place - much less a "smartphone?" I grew up without the things, I came out just fine.

i gotta dissagree, thats the kind of nanny state BULLSHIT this country is known for....

do you not understand that people can ride in vehicles, above 5mph, without driving?

its obvious your not a texter, and therefore dont care about blanket outlawing it while in motion... i wonder how you would feel if they outlawed something youve been doing safely for YEARS?

PERSONALLY, i have a no-phone while driving rule, phone or text, its because I, not you, not anyone else, have deceided its not safe.

SELF CONTROL > GOVERNMENT CONTROL... its hilarious saying this, as i know for a fact theres some of you tea baggers talking positively about new laws curbing freedom... and its not even in the constitution!

I saw a cell phone Jammer in a magazine once and i always wanted to install one in my car..

People call me all the time and if its someone important ill answer (bad me) to tell them i am driving and i will call them when i arrive at my destination. unfortunately no one seems to "Get" that i do not wish to talk and drive.

My brother bothers me the most (kinda my boss) uses drive time as office call time and cannot understand me becoming angry when he calls me (work related) multiple times when I'm out on a route or on my way to a job towing equipment .

Ive gotten to where ill pull over and yell WHAT THE FUXX when i have to answer lately Ha Ha (im a nice brother)

besides i hate it when someone gets in your car and talks on their cell, its rude!
i like to listen to music and drive not half a dang conversation.
people act like I'm a jerk when i say This IS NOT a phone booth.
or they reach up and turn down my radio to answer (i turn it right back to where i had it of course)..

Last edited:
i gotta dissagree, thats the kind of nanny state BULLSHIT this country is known for....

do you not understand that people can ride in vehicles, above 5mph, without driving?

its obvious your not a texter, and therefore dont care about blanket outlawing it while in motion... i wonder how you would feel if they outlawed something youve been doing safely for YEARS?

PERSONALLY, i have a no-phone while driving rule, phone or text, its because I, not you, not anyone else, have deceided its not safe.

SELF CONTROL > GOVERNMENT CONTROL... its hilarious saying this, as i know for a fact theres some of you tea baggers talking positively about new laws curbing freedom... and its not even in the constitution!

If more people would exercise that sort of self-control, I wouldn't be anywhere near as irritated by it.

Ideally, I'd like to see us living in an easy-going anarchy and hang the government - or, at least, reduce them to their basic functions (protection of the body politic.)

However, how many people feel like it about you - and I? I don't drive on the phone except in cases of extremis dire for the same reason - I don't consider it safe. If I don't think it's safe for other people to do, why should I think any differently for me?

If people would restrict themselves to doing it only when they had an emergency that required it, I wouldn't be bothered. If people would stop tuning out when they pick up the 'phone, I wouldn't be bothered.

But, most of these people out here can barely operate a motor vehicle - much less drive one! - in the first place. Allowing themselves to be willfully distracted while so doing is irresponsibility - both on their individual part, and on the part of society as a whole (the government should not need to step in - laws should be few, easily understood, and carry effective punishments. If you think incarceration is effective, I'm inclined to question your sanity. Having done volunteer work in jails, I contend otherwise.)

Simply put, the idea of the Social Contract has all but broken down - the problem is that is was caused by the intrusion of the Nanny State on people, and what rules we now have tend to be selectively - and relatively lightly - enforced. As stated, rules should be few, rigid, and thoroughly enforced and transgressions punished properly (bringing back the lash may have more effect on drunken drivers than six months' lockup, and the pillory may be effective as well.)

"The less you allow people to be responsible for, the less people will be responsible for." I don't like having to agitate for a law - and I honestly think that between half and two-thirds of the laws currently on the books (at all levels) could be rescinded out of hand with little to no negative effect on society. I'd like to take a stab at it, but the penal system has become a growth industry (I'm not sure who to blame for that. Hell, Bob Barker - yes, that Bob Barker - has been making jail uniforms for years...)

I see no logical nor ethical reason why the entire body of law to which a person is subject - anywhere in the country - cannot be contained in a smallish (pocket-sized) paperback volume that can be perused effectively in a week-end and distributed freely. But Hell, the Vehicle Code alone won't fit in any pocket I own! (5-1/2"x8-1/2" by, oh, say three inches thick. And that's just California - that doesn't include all of the drivel in the first section of 49CFR - collectively known as FMVSS, or Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Nor does that include the regs by CARB, CalEPA, or USEPA.)

However, I have a problem when the sort of irresponsibility that endangers other people is being so obviously displayed. If you want to pitch yourself off a cliff, fine. If you want to see how fast your vehicle can go when no-one else is on the road, fine. (The less said about what I think of current "driver training," the better. Frankly, I think they're doing a piss-poor job just about everywhere anymore.)

Protecting me from me is intolerable. Protecting me from you (used generically) is borderline acceptable, when you show a flagrant disregard for the safety of the people around you.

I honestly don't think that people who consistently distract themselves behind the wheel should not be allowed to drive anymore - whatever form this distraction takes. Whether it's DWI, DWY, DWT, or just readin' a damn newspaper - if you get dobbed in for it consistently (thrice will serve,) you get your wings clipped. You can read, text, ride drunk all you want on the bus.

Think of it as a variation on "Your right to throw a punch ends where my nose begins." If you're going to willfully put others at risk, you damned well should be punished! I honestly think that Driving While Intox shouldn't be a legitimate charge - call it Vehicular Assault" if they don't hit anyone, "Attempted Vehicular Manslaughter" if they do, and "Vehicular Homicide" if anyone dies. The difference between "impaired capacity" naturally and "impaired capacity" from drinking? You did it to yourself in the latter case...

What? How does being gay qualify as a disability or affect your ability to drive? Aside maybe from the limp wrist problem...:D

Wasnt sayin its a disability as well, didnt mean to offend you. Just saying that just you live a certain lifestyle doesnt mean u cant do your job.

The speed setting is user-programmable. I'm assuming there's some small security (so parents can set it for their kids,) but the speed setting should be set to zero and bloody left there! Even on the back of the box, it said that DWT makes you four times as likely to get into a roads incident than DWI (I call it an "incident" - a collision caused by a deliberate lack or lapse of attention is most certainly not "accidental." Kinda like how the phrase "accidental discharge" has been replaced with "negligent discharge" - if your firearm discharges a round when you don't intend for it to, what did you do wrong?)

Sounds like that would measure acceleration not velocity. once your cruising the fone wont know how fast your goin and that app would be useless.

There was a study done that proved talking on yourself fone and driving is worse than drunk driving. And texting is certainly worse. Drunks will actually try to stay on the road. Cell fones users whether its texting or talking just dont pay attention to what they are doin.

Back