• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driving light writeup and pics?

Here are some of the things I did to set up my lights maybe I should do an official write up, but I'm lazy. I have the Hella 500s, the square ones to match xj styling, highly recommended. You can almost see for miles, I use them anywhere there isin't oncoming traffic. Heres how I did them, the Hella (and other companies) kits come with all the hardware, but I made some modifications for a more permanent and professional installation.

1.) I solder everything, for a more solid connection. The stupid clip things that puncture the wire aren't wise.
2.) I soldered one of those ring things to heavy gauge wire, and installed a fuse holder to the wire (NAPA). This I connected to the power distribution box thats left of the engine on my vehicle. The battery positive, connects to everything via a stud and nut there so I just took advantage of that nut to tap power.
3.) I tapped into the headlight high beam (soldering) at the headlight plug.
4.) These wires I run neatly to the cabin, through the firewall and under the dash to the switch which went where the cig. lighter used to be. That thing caught on fire one exciting night on the highway, filling the cabin w/ smoke. Tucked away behind the switch (hot glue) lives the relay and also the circuit board I built for the adjustable map sensor.
5. The power from the headlight high beam runs to the switch (its a lighted variety), which when "on" triggers the relay, a simple 4 post headlight relay from Napa autoparts. The Hella one (mounted outside) lasted only 1 Baja trip. A pair of heavy gauge leads go to the lights, they ground on the chassis. So, with the relay and the switch in the on position, by turning on/off the high-beams, the extra bright driving lights (pencil beam) come on and shut off automatically.
6.) The lights are mounted to the bumper, there are 2 holes already there. But, I found that a piece of 1 1/2" angle aluminum (1/8 " thick), painted black and drilled, makes a nice bracket. This moves them 3/4" up and out, for better aiming, not bieng struck by things hitting the bumper and a more agressive look. They sit on top of the bumper, about a foot in from each headlight and are raised up and out, like they "float".

Feel free to contact me though if you want more info or maybe pics.

Last edited:
Back