• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveway and/or Landscaping Advice

reson46

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a company or advice/guidance to help out with a couple of projects.

Project #1
I want to add to our concrete driveway for extra parking and access to the double gates for the trailer in the back yard. It will probably be a little wider than a normal one lane driveway and the width will not be uniform due to the shape of our lot, angle of the house, etc. I basically want it to extend to the existing driveway to the edge of our lot. Here's a pic that may help.

IMG_5311.jpg

Project #2
On the other side of the house I want to add another driveway for the other trailer. I'd like this one to be a little more decorative and more than just a concrete driveway. I want it to be solid so that I don't create ruts and sink when accessing the trailer, but I also don't want to pave the entire front yard. What I was thinking was some type of brick or stone drive that would look nice and stand up to the trailer and driving/parking on it. I'm guessing I would probably need to lay down a bed of gravel for support and then add the brick or stone on top of that. I've seen similar projects on the home improvement shows and they added sand to all the joints and used a big shaker to compact everything together. Does this sound like it will work? This is the best pic of that side that I currently have.

IMG_5313.jpg

I'm more than willing to tackle this work myself, but I also know that I don't currently have the knowledge to do this alone. What I was thinking was hiring somebody to take care of project #1. Project #2 seems like something I'd be able to handle if I could find some information or consulting about what needs to be done.

I am very much the type of person who prefers to do things myself, but I think this is a little beyond my current skill set. Any recommendations for a company that can do this type of work? If somebody knows how to do this and would like to give me a hand I would be eternally grateful. :worship:

Any other advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Willy

Id say stay away from concrete. It heaves and cracks up here in nys anyways, Id either do #2 stone, shoulder stone or black top. Thats just me though..

xalexjx said:
Id say stay away from concrete. It heaves and cracks up here in nys anyways, Id either do #2 stone, shoulder stone or black top. Thats just me though..

I was thinking concrete to match our existing driveway. I don't know for sure that it is concrete, but whatever our current driveway is seems to be holding up pretty well. I'm guessing it is original so that would put it at 20+ years old.

Thanks,
Willy

Concrete in the PNW works great and is an excellent choice for what it looks like you want to do. Plus it can "match" the current driveway.

Project 1:
From the photos it looks like there is quite a significant grade from the house to the property line. This could be an issue for several reasons including drainage to your neighbor, manuverability with the trailer, etc. If this is an issue, you will need to level that area (or at least much more level than currently) and you could do this in several ways with added fill, move dirt that is already there, or other options. Once this is done, you could just add a concrete drivway, or do the alternative like I will explain in Project 2.

Project 2:
In order to keep this looking as nice/original as possible I would use concrete blocks that you can purchase with patterns in them (sorry I can't give you a specific name but they are common and any decent landscape place should be able to help you). They are about 6" deep and will hold a significant load (like a large truck/trailer) if installed correctly. The basic idea is you dig a trench wide and deep enough for the blocks (so they sit at ground level) and fill the holes with dirt and grass seed. You can mow it, and looks just like your current lawn, but the concrete blocks provide a reasonable road on which you can drive. If you need added drainage, you can make the trenches deeper and add sand under the blocks for additional support and drainage.

Hope that helps,
let me know if you have more detailed questions.
Sorry I can't recommend someone for the job, the people I do know don't work that far south.

Michael

2xtreme said:
Project 2:
In order to keep this looking as nice/original as possible I would use concrete blocks that you can purchase with patterns in them (sorry I can't give you a specific name but they are common and any decent landscape place should be able to help you). They are about 6" deep and will hold a significant load (like a large truck/trailer) if installed correctly. The basic idea is you dig a trench wide and deep enough for the blocks (so they sit at ground level) and fill the holes with dirt and grass seed. You can mow it, and looks just like your current lawn, but the concrete blocks provide a reasonable road on which you can drive. If you need added drainage, you can make the trenches deeper and add sand under the blocks for additional support and drainage.

Are the holes you are referring to the pattern in the blocks?

Thanks,
Willy

reson46 said:
Are the holes you are referring to the pattern in the blocks?

Thanks,
Willy

Yes.

Basically it is a 12" x 12" x (6 or 8" deep) concrete block that has a pattern cut out of it for the grass to grow through it. The deepth of the block gives it the stength you need for driving on but the wholes provide the front lawn to continue to look like a front lawn instead of a concrete driveway.

Look here: http://www.paversearch.com/permeable-pavers-benefits.htm

Not what I was specifically thinking of but gives you many other options for "permiable pavers", you might find something better than what I was thinking.

Michael

BTW, Your current is concrete. "Exposed Aggregate" most likely 3/8th - (minus).

There is some really cool looking plastic "permiable pavers" I had never seen before. This might be even better and far less expensive than either other ideas and would work for both sides very well and keep the existing look of grass.

I think I might have just convinced myself of another project I need to do this spring :hang:

Michael

2xtreme said:
Yes.

Basically it is a 12" x 12" x (6 or 8" deep) concrete block that has a pattern cut out of it for the grass to grow through it. The deepth of the block gives it the stength you need for driving on but the wholes provide the front lawn to continue to look like a front lawn instead of a concrete driveway.

Look here: http://www.paversearch.com/permeable-pavers-benefits.htm

Not what I was specifically thinking of but gives you many other options for "permiable pavers", you might find something better than what I was thinking.

Michael

I see what you're saying now. I'll have to look into these. If all I have to do is dig the depth of the blocks that sounds pretty easy.

Thanks for the ideas. Much appreciated.

Willy

If you are in a nieghborhood that has covenants or restrictions ,better check there first to see that nobody gripes then procede with any of the Ideas trrown out there .Have fun it`s going to keep you busy for awhile.

You don't have concrete boss, you have Exposed Aggregate as Michael said. FWIW my landlords were looking at having a 80'x30' section done. The estimates were anywhere from 16-20k. Far more expensive than concrete. I do believe you have to get a city permit before you start cutting up curbs as well. (That's just a guess, but I don't think most local governments would allow just everyone to tear them up.)

Exposed aggregate is simply concrete that is sprayed down after the leveling process to cause the top layer of cement to not harden. That top layer then gets hosed off exposing the aggregate. The aggregate is usually a smoother pea gravel in these cases for a better look rather than the normal crushed gravel. You pay a bit more for the smooth aggregate and the spray down process.

As for the curbs: Definitely check with the local government. Some localities have moved full responsibility for sidewalks and curbs to the landowners but still require permits for any work done to them.

hards91xj said:
If you are in a nieghborhood that has covenants or restrictions ,better check there first to see that nobody gripes then procede with any of the Ideas trrown out there .Have fun it`s going to keep you busy for awhile.

None of that in our neighborhood. :D That was one of the requirements when we were shopping for a house.

Willy

As for the curb, that isn't a problem. We don't have a 90 degree curb along the street, it's a sloped curb along the entire street. There are no cutouts for any of the driveways. The thing that I may have trouble with is the water main. It is currently in the middle of where I would like to put driveway #2 and uses a plastic cover. The water main for the house a couple of doors down is in the middle of their driveway and uses a metal cover. I'll probably have to contact the utility company, but I was hoping to be able to replace the plastic cover with the metal one.

Thanks,
Willy

reson46 said:
As for the curb, that isn't a problem. We don't have a 90 degree curb along the street, it's a sloped curb along the entire street. There are no cutouts for any of the driveways. The thing that I may have trouble with is the water main. It is currently in the middle of where I would like to put driveway #2 and uses a plastic cover. The water main for the house a couple of doors down is in the middle of their driveway and uses a metal cover. I'll probably have to contact the utility company, but I was hoping to be able to replace the plastic cover with the metal one.

Thanks,
Willy

When I did a similar project at my last house, I had a plastic electrical box in the ground. I just called the electrical utility and they delivered a metal one for me to replace it free of charge. I was shocked!! Also, you need to call the "call before you dig" to make sure you know where all the lines, water, etc are.
Michael

2xtreme said:
When I did a similar project at my last house, I had a plastic electrical box in the ground. I just called the electrical utility and they delivered a metal one for me to replace it free of charge. I was shocked!! Also, you need to call the "call before you dig" to make sure you know where all the lines, water, etc are.
Michael

You sure that wasn't a dream? That sounds way too easy. :laugh:

Willy

reson46 said:
You sure that wasn't a dream? That sounds way too easy. :laugh:

Willy

What is even more amazing is that I called the day of the poor!! I had no idea that I could get a metal one and a friend told me to call the utility. The came out the same day within hours of actually calling:D

I don't recommend waiting as long as I did.
Michael

Back