• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft question....have searched

keep0njeepin0n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have searched but most of what I have found pertains to older XJ's.....so here is my question. The Jeep I'm about to get is a 98 4.0 aw4 with a 3" lift and 231 T-case....the guy that owns it said he took it to a driveline shop and they said the angles were ok, but they needed to lengthen the DS. So, he's been driving it around ever since and says it has absolutely no vibes even at hwy speeds. Will I be ok with this setup? Yeah, I know, an SYE is the BEST way, but I don't own it yet, and am just wondering if I can survive this way without worries.

Also, this will be 99.9% street driven and my DD in case you're wondering.

I just purchased an XJ also, about a month ago.

It's got 3" of lift with spacers and shackles, so just over 4" total. I actually haven't even got under to make sure, but I don't think its got an SYE or anything. I get SOME slight vibrations around 50km/h, but I'm sure that's also due to my worn out front bearings...

You should be good to go with this setup. 3" of lift doesn't normally call for a SYE or driveshaft.

Every Cherokee reacts differently to a lift. 1996 and older are less likely to have drive line vibes or need an SYE at 3" of lift. 1997 and newer are less tolerant of any lift and you should either drop the T-case 1" or install an SYE. Consider a T-case drop a temporary solution while you save for an SYE.

slight correction... 95 and older are less likely to need an SYE. 96 is the year the new rear output shaft housing design was introduced.

(I have a 96 and I have the new design, with accompanying vibes. SYE is going in at the same time as my 8.8)

Nobody's really addressed the actual question here except for Mud4Life.....YES, I KNOW you SHOULD do an SYE on the newer XJ's with lift....my question was, and still is, the guy has not done it with a 3" lift, but says the driveline shop measured the angles and said they were fine, lengthened the driveshaft and the guy says it has absolutely zero vibes.

So, with that being said, is this acceptable and worry free the way it is with such a mild lift?!?!

Back