• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveline angles

XJack

NAXJA Forum User
Old setup:
RE3.5 w/AA HD SYE and 4* shims on a Chryco 8.25 axle.

New Setup:
Same as above plus 1.25" shackle and now it's a D44.

Shaft angle is currently at 0* (Zero Degrees).

I'm getting vibes at 45mph+ and am scratching my head trying to figure out how to lower the pinion a degree or two?

Seems I need another inch of lift, or a 3* shim?

Or replace the 4* shims with them. :dunce:

Haven't seen 2 degree around anywhere - got a suggestion?

XJack said:
Haven't seen 2 degree around anywhere - got a suggestion?

R.E. sells aluminum 2 1/2 degree shim for $20. Most off-road vendors sell them.

call tom woods he can get you pretty much any angle you want and stay away from the crap aluminum ones they break easy :bawl: ....
themud

First off, if you are at zero angle and have vibes, your problem is NOT pinion angle. Ideally you should have your pinion down a degree or two, but if you are at zero running down the road, your vibes are coming from somewhere else. Is the vib a drone'ing type sound that increases and decreases volume at a constant speed? If so it is driveline. Most likely your shaft is not balanced correctly. I hate to say how many brand new shafts I run across that are not balanced correctly.

By the way, the reason to put the shaft down a couple of degrees is so that when accellerating, the pinion is straight for maximum strength due to spring wrap.

Back