• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive shaft disassembly

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
I have 2 drive shafts I had shortened but I broke them both and need new ones. The ear on the short slip sides are messed up from breaking u joint. Can I get another shaft and just replace that half so I don't need 2 more custom shafts? Also need something better to hold the joint in my dana 60 besides the u bolts I have evidently. Advice??

I broke the ears off my slip on my tom woods driveline. i replaced it with one from an explorer front driveline.

There are only a few common driveshaft spline size and counts.

Yours are more than likely 1.375" 16 spline.

You can buy replacement yoke ends if the shaft is a custom size. I broke the yoke ears on woods shaft and just bought the end and fitted it on myself. The splines were larger than the standard jeep ds.

Assuming that the short end was not messed with when the shaft was shortened, yes you can just buy another and swap the short end. It will probably be out of balance at least by a little, but you might not even notice and it will definitely get you out of a pinch if you are in one

Back