• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drivability problem in a 98 XJ. . .

Ive been able to get mine off with a 1/4 drive torx, also made due with just the torx insert for an el cheapo set in a set of vice grips, once its broken loose you can get it by hand. Did the symptoms go away with the things you have done so far?

98XJSport said:
Sounds almost exactly like what happened with my 98.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99655

Start it up, runs fine for a minute. Then the idle starts jumping all around, almost stalls etc. Short bursts of throttle ok. Then it gives a little rev up, and it's fine.

Turns out it was something screwy with the heater circuit in the upstream O2 sensor causing strange feedback. Check out post #15...

98XJSport, I think you were right on the money.:worship: I drove it twice last night, both times without letting it warm up, and no bucking or hesitation was experienced. The second time, there was probably still some residual heat in the engine, so I wasn't sure. Then I drove it in to work this morning with absolutely no issue. I think that this problem is resolved! :yelclap:

Thanks to everyone for helping make this possible with their suggestions!

--wavingpine11

Glad to hear things are looking good :thumbup: Thats why I support this forum, one guy helped me and saved me far more than a membership with just this one problem. It always feels good to pass on the knowledge and help. :cheers:

98XJSport said:
A week later, everything still good?

Several weeks, just got back from driving 1500 miles over Christmas vacation, and the only issue I've had is two or three instances of funky high idle that threw a code for. . . yep, the TPS. I have another waiting to be put in, but it's discouragingly cold here right now. But I have had absolutely no problem with the pre-warmed up bucking, hesitation, etc, so I'm absolutely thrilled that was such a simple fix!

Back