• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drifting Frontend

barns12

NAXJA Forum User
Checked in forum search didn't find anything. Going down the highway, jeep starts drifting slowly to left, when you correct it then it wants to drift slowly to the right. XJ has 55,000 miles on it and is bone stock. Thanks ahead of time.

Have a friend help you.

Crawl under the front-end, and with the engine running (for PS), have your friend rock the steering back and forth while you look at everything. Start with the steering box, and look carefully at the so-called "frame" to see if there are any cracks...the whole steering box could be moving. If this is it, check the web for reinforcing plates and install them - welding may not be required.

Next, find the track-bar. It runs from the axle to the frame. Watch both ends, look for failures of the frame mount, and especially look for failures of the rubber bushings inside the ends of the track bar. The only way to get bushings is to replace the track bar.

Those are the two most likely causes. The other causes should also be visible using the same quick test, but also check with the wheel locked at each end. Rock the steering into and out of lock and watch everything. Something is moving.

Good luck,
Crawldaddy

had this problem with my fsj. It was slop in the steering gear and slop in the drag link ball joint. Replaced both and the prob went away.

Could it be the road you are on? Sometimes they crown them for water run off. On the highway mine will track straight, but on some country roads it is all over the place. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
Could it be the road you are on? Sometimes they crown them for water run off. On the highway mine will track straight, but on some country roads it is all over the place. JIM.
All roads are crowned for water runoff.

langer1 said:
All roads are crowned for water runoff.

I encourage you to come to southern Illinois show me the "crown" on some of the roads. I know several places where the crown is supposed to be, is where the water puddles.
SeanR needs to come down here and get to work!

Back