• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doubler, Teralow 4:1, atlas and so on

It also depends greatly on the terrain you will be wheeling in. Around here you wouldn't get away with just 4:1 low range. When the rocks and hills are covered in mud or moss, wheel speed is your friend. I use my doubler a lot. But there are places that 2:1 is needed. So unless you mostly drive dry rock I vote doubler. Preferably with a twin stick 300. The best part is you can do it a little at a time. collecting parts as money allows. Behemoth kit-$599, dana 300-$200 (locally) then driveshafts.

What is the behemoth kit ?

Also I agree the dana 300 with a range box in front of it and twin sticks offers a lot of control the jeep never had before. I will most likely use a 231/300 combo for the added low range.

It also depends greatly on the terrain you will be wheeling in. Around here you wouldn't get away with just 4:1 low range. When the rocks and hills are covered in mud or moss, wheel speed is your friend. I use my doubler a lot. But there are places that 2:1 is needed. So unless you mostly drive dry rock I vote doubler. Preferably with a twin stick 300. The best part is you can do it a little at a time. collecting parts as money allows. Behemoth kit-$599, dana 300-$200 (locally) then driveshafts.

Just found the behemoth site thats a pretty good setup along with a flipped 300 and a lot less then some other range boxes I've seen.

It also depends greatly on the terrain you will be wheeling in. Around here you wouldn't get away with just 4:1 low range. When the rocks and hills are covered in mud or moss, wheel speed is your friend.

Agreed. I heard the same in regards to the sand dunes out here, but found it to be a non-issue - with the manual transmission at least - I'd bet the auto is different. First or second gear hill climbs became third and fourth gear climbs. $.02

Behemoth is cheap because you use the planetary gears from your 231. so your just buying a housing and a spud shaft. might be a good chance to upgrade to the 6 gear planetary though.

a 231/231 doubler was something that had crossed my mind at one point... how long is your 231/241 combo?

the 231 is 5/8" longer than the planetary half of the 231 case, so i dunno, 7"? The 241or is a jk 241, and it was a little shorter than a 231 with an sye. I'd guess it's 6"-7" longer than just a single 231 with an sye, without measuring. My wheelbase is stretched about 5-6" and i have a manual trans to the driveshaft length is pretty decent still.

Back