• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door skin armor-- don't know where to find it...

I've seen regular bolts used (like mine), countersunk bolts (not sure if he'll countersink them for you or not), and rivets. It's all up to you and how you'd like to mount them.

I believe the material is 11 gauge (or about 1/8" thick).

Brian
www.projectxj.com

FWIW, my install album: http://jeepin.com/features/doorpanels_album/index.htm

These are Chris's panels. They look rusty in a couple of pics because UPS left them behind the house and we didn't know about it, and the box got rained on...

The panels (4-dr w/rear quarter guards):
DSC02860.jpg

The damage (pretty minor):
DSC02911.jpg

Thought about leaving them just like this... :D :
DSC02917.jpg

All done:
DSC02919.jpg

I thought you were running Rock Lizard Gila Guards?

I am. I only installed the actual door guards from Chris, and the Gila Guards are only for the rear lower quarter panels.

PMW door panel guards and RLF Gila Monsters.

100_0161.jpg

Jeeppie said:
Is this going to be a group buy?

I'll talk to Chris about it-- see if he's got the time- if folks would like me to head this?

No offense intended-

but because you want too much for them?

Sorry, man- I believe you when you say they're brand new and all-- but installed or not, I never pay near full price for something that isn't coming from the manufacturer.

Please don't take it personally, ok?

shimmy said:
why hasn't anyone bought mine yet, if so many people like them? mine are PMW too and BRAND NEW!

brandon

i'm gettin a set, did you have any probs with the bushwackers? did you have to cut them? or drill into the armor? do you have more pics of them with the BW's on? i'll have the same setup.

thanks

Jeepin Jason said:
I am. I only installed the actual door guards from Chris, and the Gila Guards are only for the rear lower quarter panels.

PMW door panel guards and RLF Gila Monsters.

100_0161.jpg

burntkat said:
No offense intended-

but because you want too much for them?

Sorry, man- I believe you when you say they're brand new and all-- but installed or not, I never pay near full price for something that isn't coming from the manufacturer.

Please don't take it personally, ok?

its not personal, my ad does say OBO... BTW i paid 160 for a set new. i'm negotiable, you just have to ask. i listed them at 140 OBO

brandon

fatwreck said:
I've seen regular bolts used (like mine), countersunk bolts (not sure if he'll countersink them for you or not), and rivets. It's all up to you and how you'd like to mount them.

I believe the material is 11 gauge (or about 1/8" thick).

Brian
www.projectxj.com

Thanks, 1/8" sounds thin for countersinking the bolts I had left over (my guards were something like 1/4" thick FWIW). Looks like I'll need to find some smaller ones to work with the 1/8", but thats easy enough.

I like the idea of rivets though, that looks kinda cool.

Thanks
Chris

Alright folks-- looks like there's some interest in a group buy, and Caged says he is able to handle the extra workload. He's done it before on a couple other jeep sites.

I'll offer to intermediate the thing-- is there a special forum for group buys?

Received an email from Chris stating that he was going to see if he can cut and bend the thicker metal for the dplating. Have you heard if he is able to do this. If he can sign me up for a set.

I talked to him yesterday about this. Seems that Dplate is harder to form than normal plate. Makes sense. So I didn't push the issue. Apparently, he cut the stock he was using in his brake for bending dplate for use in another project- I think we've all been there, haven't we? ;)

Since the subject's been broached, though-- I'm sure he'll pop in with some info about it if anyone shows interest. So far there's two of us-- you and me. I'd prefer the diamondplate look, myself. But it's really splitting hairs for me-- either way, I'm buying some of this stuff...

I've started a "Group buy " thread in the For Sale Forum.

Please go over there and post your interest, even if you've posted here.

I am looking for some "affordable" tooling for my press brake to do the D-plate panels again, The problem is finding some old punch and dies long enough to bend the front door pieces. I wil let everyone know if I find some. To answer a previous question, I can countersink the holes if desired. The cost is an additional 20.00 per set. I just did some searching and found these screws for the countersunk holes

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=73047

They were discontinued for awhile.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but is PMW still in business? I can't find a website. Does anyone know if I can still get some of the Door Skin Armor from them or of another company that makes it?

Thanks
Mike

I don't think cagedxj (pmw) is selling these anymore....and I'm not sure who else is either. It's unfortunate, because I think this a good product for XJs.

Wonder if someone like AJ, or JCR would be able to make these...? :)

I keep waiting for someone to make a "tube fender" or something like the Thor 4x4 quarter panel guards with a flare on it....I cant remember if it was Rock Lizard or someone else....but there used to be a company that made something similar...

Back