• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door not opening!

pezman65

NAXJA Forum User
Good morning JEEPERS,got in my car to go to work this morning and my door won't open up all the way. it seems like the piece that goes in that keeps it locked open is binding up. has anyone had this happen to them and what is the fix? I'm thinking taking off the door panel to see if I could see what the problem is...any help appreciated!

That is the Door Check Assembly. You can push out the pin that holds the arm to the body to get it so that the door will open all the way. You can replace the door check but you'll have to take off the inner door panel and swap it out. You can find replacement door checks on Amazon, Quadratec, or a number of other places.

I swapped out my driver side door check a short while ago; due to the horrible racket it was making, when opening and closing the door. Once removed and replaced, the cause of the noise and damage to the door check was evident. It would have snapped the rest of the way, in the not so distant future.

Remove the door panel. Remove the two nuts holding the door check in place and unpin the rod from the door jam. Now you'll have to snake the old unit out, between the window and the window regulator. Replacement is not difficult, but small hands definately help. I replaced mine, with the window in the up position.

Just try to remember how you remove the old one, so the new one can go back in, with less difficulty.....it is tight in there....

Just looked at Rockauto and they have them for $39.79.
I also need to replace mine the last one I picked up from pick-a-part is starting fall apart. I think the spring broke.
And the passenger side was making noise and I used some WD-40 dry-lube took care of the noise.

Just looked at Rockauto and they have them for $39.79.
I also need to replace mine the last one I picked up from pick-a-part is starting fall apart. I think the spring broke.
And the passenger side was making noise and I used some WD-40 dry-lube took care of the noise.
Thanks I will check that out cheaper than what I found online!

Back