• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does this guy really own this car?

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm looking at a car that is/was on eBay. I have the Carfax and CarCheck reports and both say this car was leased and then auctioned/leased again. He swears he bought the vehicle brand new but look at this report!

09/25/2006
Independent Source VEHICLE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO DEALER 10/11/2006 MI
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:603T2840001) (Leased Vehicle) 10/11/2006 MI
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL (Leased Vehicle) 03/11/2007 MI
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL (Leased Vehicle) 03/08/2008 MI
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL (Leased Vehicle) 09/19/2008 TN
Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION 09/22/2008 TN
Auto Auction AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS FLEET/LEASE

It never appears to be owned by the person who says he is the original owner and has had the vehicle for a year and a half?

What is your opinion? I think the guy is a scammer.

Scam. Email him a copy of the carfax and an offer on the vehicle 2 grand less than asking price. :D

The price is another matter, the vehicle is a 07 eddie bauer edition Expedition and he is only asking 8k for it? He says he is in Spain in the military (Army Intel) and the car is here in storage and needs it gone! It is costing him $400 a month in rent. He is going to be deployed for 2 years min. He swears this is not a scam. I have beat him to death with e-mails and he always answers my Q's. I even have personnal info on him, he has nothing on me. He has a clear title and all of the paperwork including the registration in VA will be handled by the shipping company, not sure how that crap works. The reports are the only thing thats not adding up!

He is using eBays VPP program so supposedly no money changes hands untill I inspect the vehicle but the money does go into a eBay holding account until I accept the car.

I dont know but it sounds too good to be true.

Registered in MI and TN, yet it has a VA title? Run far and fast. I wouldn't touch that deal with a ten foot pole.

Nope, he is military so he has been all over the place, the vehicle is in SC right now (Fort Jackson) I have the address of the storage unit and the unit it is in.

He said the shipping Co. would take care of registering it in VA. He is paying a vehicle moving company to ship it, or so he says! $800 to my door.

Let me guess, if goes something like this:

"I'm just a poor Army guy stationed in Spain. I brought my brand new Ford Expedition here that I bought before I deployed but have realized I have no time to drive it in Spain. Since it's costing me so much to store it I just want to sell it. It's a perfect car and a great price! All you have to do is wire the money to my Escrow company that you've never heard of, then when they clear it you'll have the car."

Nope, he is military so he has been all over the place, the vehicle is in SC right now (Fort Jackson) I have the address of the storage unit and the unit it is in.

He said the shipping Co. would take care of registering it in VA. He is paying a vehicle moving company to ship it, or so he says! $800 to my door.

Ah, I see. Ask him for a phone number to the head personnel person at his base in FT. Jackson to verify his having been assigned their/subsequent reassigning or TDY to Spain. If that checks out, then you might have one hell of a steal on your hands. Otherwise, I'd walk away.

Looks to me like a lease return that was then sold at auction. He can't be the orig. owner. Unless of course you don't actually have the correct vin number to run for that vehicle. May be a report on another vehicle?

Cant you ask for his commanding officer on the US base or something?

It sounds like every other scam Ive seen, it Could be true but you gotta see/drive the car first and confirm a valid title.

Why not get ahold of someone on here that lives in SC around that storage complex and have them go talk to the owners to find out if it's really there. Heck they might even have a key that could let them access it to check the VIN in person then give you a heads up.

Thanks for the replies guys. I e-mailed him a copy of the CarCheck report and he replied back and said that there was some kind of mistake and he was the original owner. He sent me a CarFax report that showed the same thing as the car check report?

Either he can't read or he is dumber than the average crook! I replied back and told the guy where to get off.

These scamers are getting more creative and persistent as people catch on to them.

glad you decided to walk away...although great deals do exist, some things are just too good to be true, and you're usually safer to just walk away and either find something locally, or at least something that you have no doubt of it's legitamacy.

SCAM!!! Do not fall for this. Everything you have described is exactly what happened to my friend except it was with sub-leasing an apartment. Do not send this guy anything!!!! My friend was screwed out of 3,000 dollars and never got it back. You'll end up with 8k gone and paying it back to your bank.

Back