• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

does anyone run with frame strengtheners on their jeeps?

someone might have already said this, but if you have the tools and skills to do it, id suggest just building your own frame strengtheners. Just use 3x3 angle iron, and cut notches to angle the iron along the frame. then you have a flat surface to bolt things on to, and it's made my jeep very stiff. i welded my clayton tranny crossmember right up to it, and also welded my rocksliders on to it. took about 5 hours to perfect. but well worth the $50 investment.

Jeff

lil' XJ said:
Why "stitch" (I'm assuming that means small circular welds thru drilled holes) weld as opposed to normal welds all the way or enev 4" welds every 4' or so?

Stitching is running short beads, pausing between welds to allow the metal to cool. Normally, you stitch say an inch every 4 inches, pausing between each weld. Then come back and weld an inch in between each one. A FULL WELD BEAD is not needed, and is in fact excessive.

The reason you dont run a LONG bead, such as a 4" bead is because by the time you get to the end there will be so much heat you will most likely blow through, and if you dont your material will warp. Stitching solves both those problems. In essence, stitching is the proper way to weld long pieces.

The welds done in a hole is called "plug welding", and is helpful to give added strength to a particular assembly. If you had two tubes slid one inside the other, you would for example put a few plug welds in it if you wanted to leave the larger tube with a clean edge for example, or just in addition to other welds to give is more strength.

(forgive all my spelling errors)

I have part of the Detours chassis stiffeners on my rig. I had him make them without the front suspension mounts since I had the Clayton longarms on there already. 1x3 box tube was then used to extend the rails up into the front frame section. All plug and stitch welded. I used 1 3/4" DOM tube to tie in from the 2x6x1/4 rockers through the rails.
Made a huge difference especially without the doors on.
Many people I know have the Detours system and swear by it.
frame.jpg

Would the 3"x3"x1/4" angle be strong enough to tie in an exo to or would it need to be 3"x6"x1/4" rectangular tubing cut in half? I would rather do the angle but if it is questionable then I will go w/ the tubing. Thanx for your input.

I cut 3x6 tubing in half and sleeved mine that way. I would have used TNT if it were out at the time also to save time. Stitch & rosette welded all over.

Back