• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone know who makes this bumper?

I'm not aware of any manufactures that have bumpers like that because it requires cutting the quarter panels off. That is a bad idea on a non cages XJ. After cutting the sides have a tendency to start buckling becuase of the lost structure in those corners.

Lincoln said:
I'm not aware of any manufactures that have bumpers like that because it requires cutting the quarter panels off. That is a bad idea on a non cages XJ. After cutting the sides have a tendency to start buckling becuase of the lost structure in those corners.
I disagree, it really depends on how you do it. If the cut material is reshaped (folded) and re attached (rivited) and sealed, it should make up for any lost structure.

Lincoln said:

Eh, I've done it numerous times and have yet to have a structural problem.

i203683546_12329.jpg

i520064_22380.jpg

i27136987_13028.jpg

i28287328_87610.jpg

i34582202_55773.jpg

i34582406_74601.jpg

Maybe the people I know are just unlucky. They all had the body side start to buckle and get wavy right around the 4x4 emblem. 5 or 6 of the local guys.

I know why JnJ's didn't, he doesn't ever get them out of the garage. :D

Thats Led's old rig and its a homebrew bumper.We made one like it for my rig as well.The only difference is his bumper is tucked in to the body more.

P4140050.jpg

P4140052.jpg

bobnoxious said:
Eh, I've done it numerous times and have yet to have a structural problem.

FWIW there is a big difference between cutting it off and wrapping it back up into the structure for welding.

Lincoln said:
Maybe the people I know are just unlucky. They all had the body side start to buckle and get wavy right around the 4x4 emblem. 5 or 6 of the local guys.

I know why JnJ's didn't, he doesn't ever get them out of the garage. :D
HAHAHA u so funnay! Hey, why is my name black?

So here is how I cut mine. I left the back piece as you can see in my pic and just cut away the cosmetic metal. I will TRIM the back away for my wrap around bumper. The only structural metal is the back plate. The rest is secondary structure, which means it only keeps the rain out.

jeeptowhooks006.jpg

I just hope it don't taco now ;) Image what would happen if I take off my doors now:explosion

Back