• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone else's XJ sound supercharged?

when i put a TB spacer and cone air filter on my '92 everybody thought i had a supercharger on it, but if you don't have those, then check your fan cluch, my YJ's fan cluch makes a whulling wummf type sound around 2,000 RPM just some more input... hope it helps any.

I think it only happens on the purple ones. J/K

My 99 is the same color and makes the same noise. Ive narrowed it down to the gear/planetary whine from the transmission, either that or its the power steering pump. I would shift from drive to nuetral at speed then rev a little and the gear whine sound would diminish but not disappear. Next thing to check is the power steering. Give it a try and see what happens. Mine has been making the same noise for as long as I can remember with no adverse effects.

I hope this helps a little.

Aaron

I've noticed my new-to-me '00 XJ making a noise exactly like you describe, it sounds like a supercharger. It seems to directly follow engine speed at high RPMs.

PurpleCherokee said:
It's definately not the fan clutch cause I can definately hear when the fan's moving. The problem is, I need somebody ridin in my engine bay while I'm drivin so they can properly point out where it's comin from... any volunteers? :)

That's what kids are for!!!!!

Haha, what's the number for DFS again??

99xjache: You too are the owner of a purple xj?? But I guess you're not stupid and put it in your screenname like me :banghead:

mine (not purple :spin1:) does that sometimes, pretty sure its the PS pump cause it gets worse when I make quick turns and such, a minor annoyance but I'm just going to drive it till the pump grenades then hit the JY :greensmok

My PS pump is noisy when it first warms up and I noticed today the whine it makes is similar to a SC whine, so I think that is your culprit.

The Wife's 2000 makes that noise, i think it almost sounds like its a speedo cable/gauge issue... It doesn't seem to really effect anything so i left it alone. Plus it sounds cool... Hers has a throttle body spacer too so i guess that may be it. But my 98 doesnt do it at all. Unless i can't hear it cuz the crack in the manifold...

it's most likely a pulley bearing.

2 ways to check it are:

1) get a mechanics stetoscope (parts stores have them super cheap and looks just like a doctors stetoscope but with a tip at the end) and VERY VERY CAREFULLY find spots behind each pulley to listen to. BE VERY CAREFULLY NOT TO GET HIT BY THE BELT, PULLEY OR FAN. it will hurt you and your ears.

2) remove the serpentine belt. make sure the vehicle is off and the key out of the ignition. and start spinning each pulley by hand. you don't have to get them to spin very fast. just as fast as you can by hand, and you'll either hear a faint whine, or what sounds like a dry bearing.

i've had that noise on my jeeps a couple times. 2x it was the alternator, and 3x it was an idler pulley.

and 1x i ignored the noise and my idler pulley bearing pulverized and the pulley came off while i was driving. that was not cool.

try taking your drive belt off and start your jeep and see if the noise is gone. Do not leave it running for very long. if the noise is gone then it is a bearing noise. i have seen a lot of alternator bearings, idler bearings, tensioner bearings.....make that sound.

Im not sure were all talking about the same noise. The one coming from my wife's 00 XJ is definately not a pully bearing. I have heard many bad bearings, and it's a different sound, plus i checked them all. (there are some major pro's to having 2 of a kind...) After dedicating an afternoon (and a tank of gas) to figuring it out, I have found that OUR sound is coming from behind the gauge cluster. Still don't know what... Biggest problem in figuring it out is that i can only get it to do it 500 RPM or so before it shifts between gears at wide open throttle. It won't do it in the driveway just rapping it up. Second set back is convincing the wife she needs to hot-rod around town with my head in her lap...

if it is coming from behind the gauge cluster it is probably one of the stepper motors, either the tach or speedo. i know GM had a problem with these. They were making the same sound.

I've got a new water pump and before replacing it... same noise. I'm REALLY thinkin it might be the gears for the optical (I think) ignition pick up thingy... I dunno the technical term for it :dunno:
Also, it's a new long block so we can eliminate anything internal (not that that eliminates a whole lot).

scorpio_vette said:
1) get a mechanics stetoscope (parts stores have them super cheap and looks just like a doctors stetoscope but with a tip at the end) and VERY VERY CAREFULLY find spots behind each pulley to listen to. BE VERY CAREFULLY NOT TO GET HIT BY THE BELT, PULLEY OR FAN.
It amazes me how a thread goes to almost 3 pages before someone gives some good advise. Don't throw money at it and try to guess what the problem is---take 5 minutes and find the problem.

Last edited:
Those things make me freakin nervous... one time when I didn't have a mechanical fan shroud I dropped the needle and one of the fan blades slapped it while it was in my ears... :doh: ouch.

jeeptx23 said:
do you have a cold air induction or throttle body spacer? when i installed my throttle body spacer(it was free so i figured why not) it started making the same noise you are describing.
my cold air or tb spacer is pretty loud.
it was kinda funny when i bought it the previous owner told me it had a turbo i got a good laugh out of it "sorry to burst your bubble dude but thats no turbo. now knock a couple hundred off the price" =P

Back