• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you use RTV when replacing the thermostat?

I wrench for a living and very rarely use RTV or Permatex for any gaskets. I ALWAYS use OEM gaskets. If I need to secure a gasket to a part for installation I use a small amount of 3M trim adhesive to glue the gasket to the removable part. That way when it has to be replaced later the glue is on the part to be replaced and not the engine itself. Never had a "come back" for a leaky gasket.

I wrench for a living and very rarely use RTV or Permatex for any gaskets. I ALWAYS use OEM gaskets. If I need to secure a gasket to a part for installation I use a small amount of 3M trim adhesive to glue the gasket to the removable part. That way when it has to be replaced later the glue is on the part to be replaced and not the engine itself. Never had a "come back" for a leaky gasket.

I like your approach and it has worked well for me also. Ever tried GasgaCinch? It's like a thinned down weatherstrip adhesive in a metal can with a brush top.

Jut epoxy it on :gee:

I will use paper gaskets if available, if not I will use permatex/ RTV, the important part most people forget is to assemble it just finger tight, the torque it after the sealer has set up a bit. If you torque it dow straight away the selaer just oozes everywhere.

Back