• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do YOU support my DECISION??

Cassio, what kind of tools and workspace do you have available? Also, what kind of time do you have available? I realize that I am sounding like a broken record with this, but have you considered making your own leaf packs? Its surprisingly simple to do, and there is not too much to go wrong. You can use pretty much any 2.5" wide leaf springs, Waggy, S10, chevy, or XJ and mix and match to get 3". It will take some trial and error, but you will likely get a pack that will flex and wear better if you make them yourself. Get a hold of some graphite paint or full length poly leaf spring sliders and play with it. I absolutely love mine, the best thing I ever did was get rid of that stiff AAL.
B.

do it right the first time. i would suggest getting an RE 3.5" kit, with 31" bfg A/ts and a locker in the rear. get good shocks, OME or bilstein. i have run many different lift setups, ranging from 3-6" and 2 people i know are running RC 3". it rides like ass. for a daily driver, you are going to be bouncing all over the place. do it right the first time. i wish i did.

Tuff Country in the 3.5"/3" lift might be a better set up for the money then a RC 3" lift. I talked to a guy running one on his XJ last month, He states a 4.5" lift from RE is what he wanted, but the money he saved went to lockers instead.
Recently his friend bought the RE 4.5 lift, just to piss em' off but it back fired because he stomps him due to him buying lockers instead of the RE lift.
Food for thought.
But RE, does make a nice quality lift.

FWIW, I 'm considering the RE 3.5" lift myself.
Plus, I already have 32's in the garage waiting.:)

cassio said:
cause if they arent then i wouldnt mind getting the 4.5in kit with aal

plus if go with the 3in, will adding the BB be a problem????

Get a 4.5" or a 3" kit. An AAL kit would be better than your original post in my book. New springs are the best way to go, but AAl's will do the job (I have them) and with a 4.5" kit you should have almost everything you need save for an adjustable track bar.

I am assuming the reason you're considering a 3" and a BB is because it is cheaper than a 4.5" lift, right? Well it is not. A 4.5" kit costs more because at that lift height you need to do more to the Jeep to have it steer properly and handle properly (Adjustable track bar, brake lines, and control arms). Not to mention the shocks with the 3" kit will be too short for the 4.5-5" you'll have after adding the BB.

If you want 4.5", buy a complete lift. If you can't afford to do that, then get a 3 or 3.5" lift. If you want to add a BB to the 3" down the road you can, but you'll need an adjustable trackbar, longer shocks, longer brake lines, longer control arms, a SYE (or at least a transfer case drop), etc, etc, etc.

As for Rough Country, they make decent products. They don't get much love here on NAXJA, but they are a decent company. Not something I'd put on a dedicated trail rig, but for a weekend warrior/ designated driver there stuff isn't bad. Their shocks do suck though.

Someone mentioned Tuff Country - Don't their XJ kits use 3" rear lift blocks?:puke:

jjchgo said:
i have broken both rough country front coils and one of their aal. i wouldnt take their product if it was given to me free. take it for what its worth.

cheers,

jj
how did you do that I would like to see a picture of that!!! sounds a little far from the truth considering spring steel is designed to twist and bend

attach some photos please

cLAYH said:
My RCs ride WAY better than the Rancho coils do. To each his own I guess.

Yes, I will agree that RC's coils ride better than Rancho.........like pinching one's finger hurts less than smacking it with a hammer.......YPTMV (your pain threshold may vary)

OME anyone? If I could do it again I would have gotten a OME 3" HD instead of my R.E. 3.5" SF. Can't say I have many complaints with the Rubicon lift, but my rig sees alot more pavement then anything. So the OME lift would have been a better way to go........ :pig:

buy used and build what you can, i had about $100 in my 3" and sold it all for $100.

you are eventually gonna outgrow it so why spend the money on something you are gonna upgrade?

check the classifieds and watch ebay for coils, build some junkyard springs, relocate your brakelines, trim your front coil/shock mounts and get on the trail.

spend the money you save on a locker

ok guys
once again thanks for all your help
yall made up my mind (with peer presure...lol)
rubicon 3.5 super ride with AAL(for now) it is

i heard rumors that it will give me more than 3.5 so can
i fit 32" tires on it?? PICTURES WOULD HELP
and
suggestion on shocks and a locker for the rear??

that should be the last of my questions thanks again guys!

Last edited:
cassio said:
rubicon 3.5 super ride with AAL(for now) it is

i heard rumors that it will give me more than 3.5 so can
i fit 32" tires on it?? PICTURES WOULD HELP
and
suggestion on shocks and a locker for the rear??
You often get more than the advertised height from the RE kit, but don't count on it always happening. 32s and a 3.5" will definitely require some trimming; I've got a 4.5" and 32s and needed to open the front of the front wheelwell. Expec to need to do that as well as possibly the rear opening, rear wheels may need a taller bumpstop but see GoJeep's site for ideas on how to do that.

Back