• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you guys like body-colored or black bumpers?

Do you guys like body-colored or black bumpers?

• Body-colored

Votes: 78 24.9%
  • Black

Votes: 207 66.1%
  • Other

Votes: 28 8.9%

• Total voters
a few layers of clearcoat oughta do it...

actually I'm still torn as to whether I want to repaint the flares/bumpers. If I do I'll redo the grill too, but that Patriot Blue on my '00 can almost pass for black in the dark as is...I'll probably wait to switch over until after I have aftermarket bumpers.:D but for my vote...black=aggresive where color matching = style. It's a preference thing.

Black on Black around here.

amish_graphics_r1_c2.jpg

Primer Gray with bug blood and a mix of multi colered mud/clay residue covering the paint i took off that honday i destroyed last month... with a touch of rust thrown in there for good measure...
but really come on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymac
wHEN WILL THIS THREAD GO AWAY?

Color bumpers are too high maintenance. Just put 2 coats of color & 3 coats of clear on my rear bumper (dark amethyst pearl) & color sanded to fix where the PO was apparently jumping up & down on it. Now I'll have to clear coat the front because of the bugs next spring. I don't know what they were thinking when they painted these things.
jlex.

You can now spray on that Rhino bed liner in any color you want. It would make a nice color matching undercoating and lower panel protective coating.
But...the best is to have your XJ painted purple and have the fender & bumper extentions painted in pink! Yeah baby!

Semi-flat black or flat black. Not glossy black. My rig is white but the OEM
bumpers are semi-flat black. Never had a problem with fading. With black,
there are few color-matching problems (if any).

I sprayed bed liner on the inside of one of my flares to do a test....it didn't adhere well at all and actually made the plastic soft....do a test b-4 spraying .

I've got an all dark blue 97 country. Bumpers, fenders, entire body are all dark blue. I jsut put my name on the Rigid rear bumper list, what do you think? black or sprayu/powdercoat it to atch? I'd think it'd be hard to match....

BLACK
My 95 XJ is a dark green Country.
The original light color on the bumper matched the flares. Now the bumpers, the front flares, and the sheet metal below the character line and pinstripe are all Herculiner black. Rear flares are gone.

The original looked nice and dressy. The current looks appropriate for a more serious off-road vehicle. Just part of the maturing process the vehicle goes through as it becomes "adjusted" to a less paved world.

lanky laredo said:
why did i not see a spot to choose a crome bumper....

Is my Jeep an outcast with a crome bumper?

yes, chrome is an outcast. just like each one of us! jk

Painted, definitely. Makes it look more luxurious :). Then again, when all you've got is a beat up YJ, anything is luxurious.

The only inexpensive flares I could find when I rebuilt my XJ were textured, which were originally installed as unpainted pieces. I had them painted and the effect is rather interesting. They're not as glossy as the factory smooth plastic flares (though they still shine), but the paint is a heck of a lot more durable than the rest of the body. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the flexible additive in the paint, but I've had a few incidents with dropping tools into them, etc. and they haven't been nicked up at all.

Seems like the best of both worlds.

Back