• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do it yourself

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I'm in Portland and I was wondering if there were any do it yourself auto shops arround. When I was active duty stationed in North Dakota the base had a do it yourself shop where you just rented a space, with or without a lift, and you had just about any tool for your use. So that's kind of what i am looking for. They don't really like me working on my rig here in the apartment parking lot.

The only time I've ever seen one of those is on a military base.

i've never seen something like that ever. not a bad idea though... but fully impractical for civilian use (tool theft, liability, etc...).

Dookie said:
i've never seen something like that ever. not a bad idea though... but fully impractical for civilian use (tool theft, liability, etc...).

Yeah, you said it. Having used the base shops myself I sure wouldn't let Joe Public in. Meh...

afjeep2082 said:
Hey I'm in Portland and I was wondering if there were any do it yourself auto shops arround. When I was active duty stationed in North Dakota the base had a do it yourself shop where you just rented a space, with or without a lift, and you had just about any tool for your use. So that's kind of what i am looking for. They don't really like me working on my rig here in the apartment parking lot.

in 5 years here....negative...liability is to high to let Joe Average play around with things he has no knowledge of.

Good thing my shop has a lift just for my junk :D

Yeah, I could use some shop time since I'll be doing my SYE soon. I can do minor stuff in out apt. parking lot but I wouldn't attempt a project like that here. I don't want to pay a shop to install it since I've never worked on a transfer case and am interested.

I hear ya there, i did my engine and suspenshion install at the bas hobby shop, it's pretty handy! and cheap! only 2.25 per hour for a lift spot and something like 1.00 a hour for a non-lift spot. Too bad there arn't any closer active duty base's here. :-(

Where in ND is that I would like to know??? Im here and haven't herared of any.

red_01_xj said:
Where in ND is that I would like to know??? Im here and haven't herared of any.

Judging by his screen name, I'd guess the 'af' is for Air Force, which would likely put him at either Minot or Grand Forks when he was there. :)

yes that would be Grand Forks AFB off of HWY 2 about 15mi out of Grand Forks....I see your in Fargo so it's not too bad of a drive. Your only problem would be getting on base, unless you know someone that can vouch you on it's a no-go. PLUS the runway is under construction so alot of people are at another base continueing op's so the hobby shop might not even be open now due to lack of manpower.

Back