• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I need an auxiliary tranny cooler

Ok I’m about ready to install an aux cooler. Will I need to bleed air out of new lines and cooler before closing everything up?

OP, I just lifted my Jeep and am running 33's and just re-geared my rear diff. I went with 4.56 and I think 4.11 might have been a better choice. At 60mph the engine RPM is 2200. Just FYI. I will either re-gear to 4.11 or run 35" tires when these wear out.

BTW, what is everyone doing as far as plumbing the trans cooler? On my other XJ I just cut the hard lines and ran high pressure rubber hose with two hose clamps at each connection. The braided hoses and AN fittings look kinda cool, but I know nothing about them.

This weekend is when I plan to install cooler. It’s a Hayden 676. I got the kit to insert it in the top return line right below radiator cap. Got some high temp thread sealer from Permatex. I read somewhere (not on this forum) that you need to drain the antifreeze. Why would I need to do that if it’s only tranny oil running through the lines? Can someone please clarify? I trust you guys on here! Tons of good info and good humor!

..... I read somewhere (not on this forum) that you need to drain the antifreeze. Why would I need to do that if it’s only tranny oil running through the lines?.......
Exactly.
There's no reason to drain the coolant.

Back