• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do Doors Add Strength, Thread

MaXJohnson said:
proof of what can happen. RevDen left his doors on, but removed part of the roof. Result: TACO TIME

RevDen_Taco.jpg

It also warped time/space as evidenced by the two overlapping cars in the righthand corner of the picture.

Moral: DO NOT CUT OFF THE ROOF OF AN XJ. YOU COULD KILL US ALL! :looser:

Nay

Wrt to your comment about rails I agree but I'm kinda intrigued by the rock rails that Warn sells.

Warn's rails bolt into the floor as well as the usual areas that rock rails bolt.

This has to increase the vertical component of the force distribution and hence increase the polar moment of area when viewed from the tail gate towards the front. Kinda like faking up a semi-monocoque.

I've never laid eyes on a set of these rails so I don't know to what extent it would help - must be better than normal rails. I've but them on my short list for this reason, when I get the bucks together I'll look at them closer.

r@m

MaXJohnson said:
proof of what can happen. RevDen left his doors on, but removed part of the roof. Result: TACO TIME

RevDen_Taco.jpg

Yeah, that thing split so violently, it f'ed up the neighbors car, driveway and garage door. They had to take that tree down too. :D

Edit: Ah sh!t, Nay beat me to the punch!!!

Last edited:
Who cares!?!? If ya want to take your doors off, take them off. If your a wuss and are afraid it will taco and end all of humanity, then leave them on..........

steinjeep said:
Yeah, I have mine off on my 91' xj with 35" mtrs & 7-1/2" of lift and short arms. There is more body roll when turning, but I've adjusted my driving style and take it slower. You will need the track bar though because this is responsible for the lateral stability and location. I took my front sway bar & track bar off of my 10" lifted 94' wrangler with a spring over with leaf springs. The leafs are great in that they locate the axle and are also the susp unlike the coil spring that can flex better but needed multiple links to locate it and the coils to provide the susp.
JnJ said:
Ok. If you remove the doors it will cause death wobble, fuel delivery problems, and it is not approved by any race sanctioning body. Oh and it will fold like a taco.
ECKSJAY said:
But I'm OK without a front swaybar, right?
I'm not sure you can believe much of anything JNJ has to say, and I'm pretty sure Ecksjay knows that and commented in the like manner. Niether of these guys are dummies.

I'm almost 100% sure that was a stiff case of sarcasm.

Last edited:
The Surgeon Corporal has determined that web-wheeling doorless may be Hazardous to your Health.

<edit... WEB wheeling.>

Last edited:
My biggest concern would be floppin' it over and a big rock coming in the cab and breaking my leg or hip.
I don't like the weight, excess sheet metal to dent, or the obstruction of sight with doors but I like the safety of them.

Jes

doors add strenght in a collision you can drive around all day and not have to worry about your xj folding in half but when you get in an accident the doors hold the center of the xj together (the area inside the 4 torque boxes) if the doors where not there the xj's roof would buckle up and all kinds of fun stuff would happen

bryanv said:
doors add strenght in a collision you can drive around all day and not have to worry about your xj folding in half but when you get in an accident the doors hold the center of the xj together (the area inside the 4 torque boxes) if the doors where not there the xj's roof would buckle up and all kinds of fun stuff would happen

You're absolutely right...the ONLY way to take the doors off safely is to replace the stock axles with unimog's and to buy Farmer Matt's roof rack...
Also...If you take the doors off, you can fit 35"s with a 3" lift and no trimming...

Honest

Gil BullyKatz said:
You're absolutely right...the ONLY way to take the doors off safely is to replace the stock axles with unimog's and to buy Farmer Matt's roof rack...
Also...If you take the doors off, you can fit 35"s with a 3" lift and no trimming...

Honest

beer just came out of my nose....

vsh said:
Nice photoChop!

I am in the process of going doorless and will fab up some toob doors to replace the old ones.
attachment.php
Y'know, if the fender was really that much in the way, you could have just removed it.

Saw a pic somewhere on the net of a flat fendered MJ that looked real nice...can't remember where tho....
Course...If you use the right gauge for your flat fenders, then you can definately remove the doors and not worry about tacos, burritos, etc... :rolleyes:

Back