• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do chop tops constitute a valving change in rear shocks?

ROKRWLR

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to order new longer 7100s for the rear.

Previously I was running 10" 7100s in the stock position with 180/75 valving. In the new setup, I will be running 14" 7100s set vertically over the spring perches. I'm trying to decide if I should stick with the valving I used previously or switch to a higher valving based on some of the recommendations I am seeing on here???

Helpful info:
  • The Jeep is chopped and dove'd, but with the cage (typical hybrid exo/internal) added back on, I don't know what the weight difference will end up being in the rear. It has a 35" spare mounted over the cargo area only sticking out past the shackle hangers by 6" or less.
  • jeep is not done yet so I can't get any actual weights right now.
  • 35's on a D60 FF rear with 3.5" RE leafs + 1" shackles and 1" TNT UBEs.
  • Front is a long arm 3 link with 12" 275/78 valved 7100s.
  • Mostly crawling, I do like to have a little fast fun between trails, but this is not a Jeepspeed build.
  • XJ is "street legal" and driven sometimes, but definitely not a daily driver and will be trailered for long distances not driven so road manners are not a high priority.

Should I stick with the 180/75 rear valving or step up to a stiffer 275/78 with the new round of shocks? I am assuming that by going vertical with he shock vs the stock angled mounting and shifting them out further toward the wheels will effectively stiffen the shocks a little bit.

Thanks for the input.

The lighter the rear the more you need to detune the rear shocks.

That being said, I have 255/70 in the rear of my full bodied MJ with a cage and it is great.

For the BEST information, you can PM RANDOMERACETHOUGHTS here on Naxja and Joel can give you the best answer to what you need.

BTW, you should trade up your FF60 for D70. The Dana 60 you probably have is minimally stronger than a rear D44.

I'm running 360/80 valved fronts and 255/70 rear with a full bodied rig, and wish I had stuffer valving out back. Love the front valving. It hasn't seemed to impact flex at all when in the rocks (which is my main wheeling) but also handles high speed very well (which I have a lot available out here).

I'm running 360/80 valved fronts and 255/70 rear with a full bodied rig, and wish I had stuffer valving out back. Love the front valving. It hasn't seemed to impact flex at all when in the rocks (which is my main wheeling) but also handles high speed very well (which I have a lot available out here).

Are your rears upright or laid at an angle in the stock-ish position? Just trying to get a reference....

Back