• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY roof rack for under 50 bucks!

Give the guy a break. At least he is working on his rig.....not like many web fabricators on here.

I might ask the BOD if we can sell a WEBFAB OFFROAD windshield banner in the NAXJA store.

Great idea old man!!

I'm seriously not trying to keep shooting down your ideas but, again, your roof rack is not going safely support any weight. Maybe your bookbag and lunchbox. But nothing close to what you're wanting to put up there. Camping gear? Maybe. Fishing poles? Probably. Spare tire? No! HiLift? Absolutely Not! Having a spare tire on top of a XJ kills fuel mileage because of the added wind resistance. Now figure how much force is involved, basically trying to rip the tire, HiLift, shovels etc, off the roof of the Jeep. Not saying it cant be done. People do it all the time. The difference is their racks are built with steel tubing and flat plate. Their racks are secured to the drip rails or equally strong points on the roof. There's simply no way to properly secure it to your rack without the possibility of it destroying your rack and killing someone at 30 miles an hour. Please do not do this.

I'm seriously not trying to keep shooting down your ideas but, again, your roof rack is not going safely support any weight. Maybe your bookbag and lunchbox. But nothing close to what you're wanting to put up there. Camping gear? Maybe. Fishing poles? Probably. Spare tire? No! HiLift? Absolutely Not! Having a spare tire on top of a XJ kills fuel mileage because of the added wind resistance. Now figure how much force is involved, basically trying to rip the tire, HiLift, shovels etc, off the roof of the Jeep. Not saying it cant be done. People do it all the time. The difference is their racks are built with steel tubing and flat plate. Their racks are secured to the drip rails or equally strong points on the roof. There's simply no way to properly secure it to your rack without the possibility of it destroying your rack and killing someone at 30 miles an hour. Please do not do this.

Lol. It's sturdier then what you think.

I've posted 3 threads on this form and every last one of them some one has turned their nose up at it.. I'm starting to wonder if any one ever gets any positive outcome from questions. Hell I spent 40 dollars and I got the same results as I would have with a 250 dollar roof rack. What's the difference other then it's not welded? They are both metal and that's all that matters. Again I'm not gonna be stacking cinder blocks in it. If I didn't think it would hold a hi lift jack then I wouldn't have wasted my time asking about mounting brackets to accomplish what I wanted. I believe that I could put my spare in it and have no problems... Why do I think that? Because I built it and I know it's breaking points. 50-60 pound spare would be no problem.

Yea me too. I'm more concerned that all the screws will come loose! Lol. But I think a spare would be ok. I'm only running 31"s

You know that's not a true statement.:nono: You said so yourself:rolleyes: Come on man. Again, please do not put someone else's life in your hands.Hasta

That's just it man! Its not all that matters! Have you ever seen a REAL roof rack? Not Walmart junk buddy, a real STEEL roof rack! You want to be taken seriously? Start a serious thread. The issue you're having is you're trying to justify doing something downright dangerous, something that could absolutely KILL someone, and you're never going to get warm and fuzzy on this site for that. I hope you stick around, read others experiences, and learn. We're here to help each other, whether its a no start renix or a cracked head on a 2000. What we're not here to do is give the green light to unsafe ideas.

Its not the screws man. That's the least of your worries. How thick is the tube? What's the bending strength of conduit? Why not make your UCAs and LCSs out of conduit? Its all metal right? I'm done.

I'm trying to figure out at this point if OP is serious about all of this or if it's beemerjeep or whatever that idiots name was.

I've posted 3 threads on this form and every last one of them some one has turned their nose up at it.. I'm starting to wonder if any one ever gets any positive outcome from questions. Hell I spent 40 dollars and I got the same results as I would have with a 250 dollar roof rack. What's the difference other then it's not welded? They are both metal and that's all that matters. Again I'm not gonna be stacking cinder blocks in it. If I didn't think it would hold a hi lift jack then I wouldn't have wasted my time asking about mounting brackets to accomplish what I wanted. I believe that I could put my spare in it and have no problems... Why do I think that? Because I built it and I know it's breaking points. 50-60 pound spare would be no problem.

Your attitude comes across as dismissive of the advice of those who have years more experience doing this than you.

All you're looking for is validation of the ideas you already have, not real advice. You're not going to get that here.

Don't put a tire on that rack. If you can't see the difference between your rack, and one that costs 5x as much, you have bigger problems.

Noticed in one of your other threads you used to have a different xj with a bigger lift... What happened to it?

You can get square tube pretty cheap ans weld up a decent rack for cheap. Then build or buy gutter mounts. Still cheap. This is mostly for cosmetics

You dont HAVE THE BALLS to mount your spare up there....

Seriously, do it tough guy...

i would on mine when i finish it. but its already on my rear bumper. lmao

You can get square tube pretty cheap ans weld up a decent rack for cheap. Then build or buy gutter mounts. Still cheap. This is mostly for cosmetics

my gutter mounted conduit rack works great.
still need to finish the floor just havnt had time between work and life.
20150801_171549.jpg

Mine cost 40 bucks in gutter mounts and an old bed frame.
d7dd453d60560680d7cc00839c072f69.jpg

Some of the posts here do come across a little mean but they really are trying to help. You would probably be fine if you kept it to just tree stands and small/light stuff as long as its tied dlwn well but I can't help but think of this image when your talking about shovels and a hi lift.

9fad029810fdaadaccc631e62d889377.jpg

Keep working on it though!

Back