• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Front Bumper

Glad to hear that it went together well and that it is of good quality.

I would love to see some pictures of it, very interested in this bumper especially for the price.

Anybody with the winch bumper have a measurement of how far it sticks out from the grill? The pics make it look like a park bench but it's also not very tall so that could have something to do with it

Anybody with the winch bumper have a measurement of how far it sticks out from the grill by any chance?

Mine was the minimum capable for my winch at 7", but it was only 5" tall from the bottom of the grille.

One of the problems with those eBay bumpers is even though they are a knock off, the attachment points only weld to the face of the 3/16" thick bumper steel and they aren't reinforced. I've seen plenty of them rip right off on a decent pull.

With that said, I purchased the Manta Ray DIY front bumper from Dirtbound and because I am an overkill type of guy, I threw their attachment points in a drawer and instead used 1" x 2" bar stock that went completely through the bumper and welded along the frame rail so there was PLENTY of weld coverage. I would never trust welding one just to the face of a 3/16" thick anything. Those things can become one hell of a missile hazard during a hard pull situation.

With that said, I purchased the Manta Ray DIY front bumper from Dirtbound and because I am an overkill type of guy, I threw their attachment points in a drawer and instead used 1" x 2" bar stock that went completely through the bumper and welded along the frame rail so there was PLENTY of weld coverage. I would never trust welding one just to the face of a 3/16" thick anything. Those things can become one hell of a missile hazard during a hard pull situation.

That's strange it doesn't come with a full tie-in, my Mohave non-winch bumper does.

One of the problems with those eBay bumpers is even though they are a knock off, the attachment points only weld to the face of the 3/16" thick bumper steel and they aren't reinforced. I've seen plenty of them rip right off on a decent pull.

Incorrect. The tabs weld to both sides (inside and outside) of the bumper plate, as well as directly to the bumper mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incorrect. The tabs weld to both sides (inside and outside) of the bumper plate, as well as directly to the bumper mount.

Correct, my bad. It does weld to the inside of the 3/16" plate as well. The bumper mount you mention is the same bead that welds it to the inside of the front plate and definitely not considered a bumper mount tie in. It still depends on the 3/16" plate for strength and I am not going to trust that with a heavy pull. I've seen them ripped off before. Could the weld have been bad? Perhaps.. but it just doesn't provide enough welding area for me to feel comfortable with it.

I bought the diy eBay special that looks like the jcr one.

I had my rear locker blow up going up Cadillac hill on the rubicon last summer and had to get towed by a LS swapped tj on tons through a uphill rock garden. At one point I got stuck on the side of a large boulder and the tj kept pulling. My bumper held up fine, my re trackbar bracket separated at the seams.

I did run a hot weld on both sides of seams on my bumper when I made it though.

50ab62eb1790a0733b3e171b4a6a044a.jpg

Back